1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fixing a Drilled Hole in a Bass Body???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Precision_D, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Precision_D

Precision_D

I have an old Made in Korea Squier II Precision that has been with me for the last 15 or so years. I initially scored it off some chick who bought it from a pawn shop. Anyways, a couple years ago I made this project to fully restore the bass because the neck plays beautifully. The thing was covered in stickers and after much lighter fluid and elbow grease, all of the stickers were removed. Years later, I am looking to move on and finally get this project finished. Replacing all electronics, pickups, custom pickguard, new bridge, etc.

My question is this:
    Has any of you ever fixed an actually drilled hole in a bass body? What would you recommend to use to fill? A hole was drilled from the original owner, I guess for his thumb to go in while he played with his fingers. The body is plywood.

Any suggestions?

I included some pics so you guys can get an idea what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Zephrant

Zephrant

If it was mine, I'd try to make a plug out of matching ply, then use gorilla glue to put it in. Sand it down, some bondo to fill any defects, then get busy on making a smooth finish on the body prior to priming.

Probably overkill to try to match the ply, but if you don't, will you always wonder if it could have been better?

How are you going to paint it?
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Gorilla glue has no place in instrument repair. Basic tightbond would be the way to go. You may have some difficulty getting a good fit.

Just a thought, if it is a great neck and a ply body, you may want to buy a decent solid wood body and take it from there. otherwise you still have a nice neck on a so so body after a lot of work.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

If you are going to refinish with a solid color, then I don't think it's important to match the grain. I'd cut a plug the same size as the hole and glue it in with Titebond, and sand smooth.
  5. neckdive

neckdive

This is this best approach. Since you plan to buy new electronics, buying a naked body makes more sense. You can find good bodies with the exact colors, styles, and pickup/control routes for about $50. If you stick with that body, not will you have to fix the hole and repaint the body, you will be constrained to buying stuff that fits only that body. Since the body is not vintage, it's not really worth repairing, once you add up the costs of going to the store, sand paper, Titebond, paint, brushes, mask, etc. The stuff adds up quickly.

Remember, your time and agravation are worth money, too. Since you like the neck you can also opt to buy a loaded body, hook your neck up and play it right away.
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Good advice here. Or a decent Pawn shop body with that nice neck, add new electronics and you're set. Too much work to that body!
  7. Precision_D

Precision_D

Yeah, the more I am trying to plan this out, it is looking like it would be a better option to just get a new stripped body and go from there with everything.

Thanks guys.
  8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

My sister has a squier II strat I have played on and off 7 or so years and I really enjoy it, so much that I had one as well. I have also owned a squier II bass like that but in white. It dented really easy on the edges due to the plywood. As others said its not really worth fixing. I love the necks but as for the bodies there nothing special and its always been strange to me that such great necks were but on rather cheap bodies.

Guitar fetish has some cheap, but they are not the highest of quality.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Bass-Bodies-and-Necks_c_293.html
  9. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Better compare the heel of that neck to whatever you buy before you get a new body. That Korean neck might not be the same dimensions as a Fender. But,If you find one that will fit, that's the ticket.