1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fixing a Pressed-in Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VanillaThundah, Feb 12, 2013.

1. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    While this isn't bass-specific, it is related to woofers and tweeters which we all have one or both in our cabs. I've inherited a great Realistic receiver, turntable, and speaker set from my father that I'd like to get back to its former glory. The receiver works great and all the turntable needs is a new needle, but the speakers need a bit more TLC....

The speaker cabinets have a tweeter and two 8" woofers in each cabinet (these are tall cabinets). One of them is completely fine except for a tweeter that got pressed-in, while the other speaker cabinet has both dust caps (i think thats the correct term for the middle of the speaker) pressed in as well as the tweeter. I would have taken pics but I am at work and didn't think about it until now. Is there any way to fix these speakers and keep the stuff original, or would I need to buy new speakers? Would I be better off just getting two other cabinets? I'm reluctant to since the one cab (tweeter aside) seems to be fine.

:help:

EDIT: They are optimus series speakers, from what I can gather on the web

2. Arjank

Arjank

As for the dome-tweeter, use the vacuum-cleaner-method :bassist: (use your hand as an adaptor between the dome and the mouth of the vacuum-cleaner, this way you can increase/decrease the amount of suction.....)
    The dustcaps of the mid/woofers can, or be replaced, or you can stick a fine needle in them and try to pull the deformed dustcap back.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

I have used the bulb of a large turkey baster to provide suction to pull out a domed tweeter.

4. VanillaThundah

Media:
    Would it matter how long they've been pressed in? My older brother pressed them in when he was a toddler....back in 1984. My dad said he never could get them back out, but he just tried using tape to get them back out when it first happened.

I will give the vacuum cleaner method a try, my mother owns a dyson so I'm sure it will do well pulling it back out again if it's possible. I would rather not puncture the speakers since they are so old, would the vacuum cleaner be a bad idea on the woofers? Should I try and run the cabs at reasonably high volumes to settle them back in afterwards if I can get them popped back out? Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to screw these up since I can't exactly go to Best Buy and grab another set lol

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arjank

Arjank

Depends, do the tweeters still give any highs?
    If so, they still "live" and they might not have been damaged further.
    Btw. most dome tweeters(in particular softdomes) produce most of their sound at the outer part of the dome where the voice-coil is attached.

That Dyson will do the trick, but also use your hand, else the Dyson might suck out the whole dome assembly.
    You could try it on the woofer, but be carefull no to move the cone sideways(only up/down) else you could damage the voice-coil.
    You don't need to run high volumes.

7. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

First sound check all 'dented' drivers for function. A dented dust cap sometimes results in misalignment of the voice coil (requires a recone).

Prior to any corrective measures, consider that dented dust caps often do not result in an audible impact on sound quality, and that your attempt to remove the dents may result in real damage to the driver.

I would try the vacuum cleaner method on both woofers and tweeters, or take a piece of adhesive taps, hold it around the eraser end of a pencil (sticky side out) - gently press/stick the eraser/tape onto the dome/dust cap and pull outward. Have had good results with both methods. Whatever you do, be careful.

Also consider that replacement tweeters are available at very reasonable prices from Madisound, Parts Express, Speaker City and other driver vendors.

Good luck.

8. VanillaThundah

Media:
    Thank you for the advice! I'm going to give everything a shot to try and fix them, but if the price isn't too outrageous I'm going to try and grab some new tweeters and possibly woofers.

9. VanillaThundah

Media:
    Ended up A/B'ing between the left and right speaker cabs and didn't hear a difference concerning the woofers. I can only assume that it's a similar story with the tweeters, but will never know since they are both pressed-in. The more I thought about trying to depress them, I just started to chicken out since I saw how much it can be to replace some of them. From what I heard though, the dust caps being pressed in didn't make any real discernible difference in the sound quality.

10. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

I've used the vacuum cleaner on several speakers, never had a problem.

11. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

If all of the drivers are functioning I doubt that you will here much if any difference. However, with reasonable care the vacuum and tape-over-eraser methods will work well, although some crease marks will still be evident. The vacuum method should be used with an end-of-tube opening that is equal to or slightly less than the dust cap diameter to avoid sucking the dome and surround/spider away from the magnetic structure and frame. Fixing the dome tweeters will probably yield the most audible improvement (although not much). From experience, the biggest improvement is in the owners/listeners state of mind. Crushed domes/dust caps just really bug a person! If the drivers all function, the easiest (most effective?) solution may be to keep the grills on. ;)

12. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector