Fixing an Ibanez Case

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kirkdickinson, Feb 16, 2014.

1. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

I recently purchased a brand-new Ibanez hard case for my Gary Willis bass. I was loading it in my vehicle after a gig it was 0° outside and I banged it on the door frame. Cracked the case the first time I used it.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392606594.403211.jpg
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Weld it.

Granted, all the Ibanez cases I have repaired have been older ones, but on those the material has been easily weldable.

Regards
    Sam
  3. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I've used epoxy and bumper patch. Both seem to hold up pretty well.
  4. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

I wondered if I should drill a small hole at the ends of the cracks to stop them from running.

I wondered about plastic welding? This case looks like ABS, but I am. Not sure.

What is bumper patch?

Kirk
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

I gave heard about plastic welding. Isn't it kind of like brazing except with plastic? Where do you get the "welding rod"?

Kirk
  7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi Kirk.

Apologies for not replying earlier, I've been on a mobile device and except for one-liners, I HATE typing with a touch-pad.

Not quite, the filler material is the same as the base and the base material has to melt as well as the filler, so it's pretty much the same as oxygen-acetylene welding of steel.
    The technique -prep and bead forming- can be pretty much the same as well, just the temperature is lower.

If the innards of the case can't be removed, I've used a specially ground soldering iron tip, the somewhat uncontrollable penetration control of a hot air welder may melt the (styro-) foam material inside the shell.

I have used strips cut from pieces of smashed cases with great success, but any modern auto body shop should carry ABS filler rod as well.
    They weld dashboards and bumper outer shells daily.
    In a recent thread about the same subject, someone pointed out MC shops as candidates for filler material as well.

Some hardware stores may carry hard plastic filler rods, but usually their products are for welding plastic floor materials.

Regards
    Sam
  8. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

Thanks Sam,

Found out that this case is Polyethylene instead of ABS.

What is an MC shop?

Kirk
  9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Search 'polyethylene welding' (used 'ZOO').
    Lots of info on welding it, including supplies.
    Been welding motorcycle (dirt bike) fenders, batteries, etc with a cleaned soldering iron tip for 40+ yrs.
    Sorta like gas welding/brazing, with no torch.
    Use good ventilation.