1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fizzy/farty overdrive - help please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AmpedSilence, Aug 15, 2013.

1. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

Hello everyone, I've been having a problem with the way all overdrive pedals I try give me a high fizzy sound and a low farting sound. I recently bought a Catalinbread Teaser Stallion and the YouTube vid demo I saw sounded great! But it wasn't the case for me :atoz:
    I really don't know if its just that I am doing something wrong or if thats just the way dirt pedals sound on bass ( although I look up YouTube vids and notice that some don't).

I have a Squier CV 60s P bass with Delano PMVC FE/M2 pickups.

I plug the bass directly into the Teaser Stallion which then goes into the Zoom MS-60B. I also have tried the ODs with two other basses, my Squier Bronco and an Ibanez SR305 and get similar results. I have a Peavy Firebass amp with a Yorkville XC410 cab and I also use an Ampeg BA300.

I've read online that some fizz comes from a source signal not putting out a strong enough signal...

so, :help:
  2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I don't have any familiarity with most of your gear.

Often times the amp & cab(s) play a big role in how OD sounds.

But here's another question. Do you play with a pick or fingers? If it's fingerstyle do you have a hard or light touch?

I started having a LOT more success with overdrives when I realized that they sounded much, much better when either playing with a pick or absolutely hammering with my right hand.

I think a lot of people want to use a light touch and sound like Geddy Lee or Tim Commerford, but only a few pedals I've ever tried can accomplish something like that. The Darkglass B3K (or B7K) is one though even it sounds better with an aggressive attack.
  3. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

I use a pick a lot and also play finger style. I tend to have a hard attack.

The one grindy pedal I absolutely loved was the Rusty Box. The biggest problem with it was the infernal hiss I got from it :(
    I even sent it to Tronographic to have it checked out and they told me it was fine. I was so bummed.
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Yeah, the Rusty Box is noisy. Great sound, but can definitely be noisy.

Sounds like the Teaser Stallion just isn't for you.
  5. Rabidrasbora

Rabidrasbora Supporting Member

I had similar issues w/the Stallion...low-end loss, thin sound and the distortion was "inconsistent". It didn't play well with some pedals...if you're determined to keep it, experiment/remove some of the other pedals at random to see if you can narrow down the culprit.

I switched to distortions/fuzzes that were consistent/predictable in their break-up (anything by Wren and Cuff for example).
  6. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

I was afraid that might be the case, although I'd still want to know if Overdrives and distortions are fizzy with my setup or if it's just the pedals I've tried..