1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flair for your rig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jan 18, 2014.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I was watching a Rush concert video and seeing Geddy's chicken rotisseries and Alex's barbie dolls and dinosaurs gave me the itch to gussy up my rig a little bit, give it some "flair" for a more interesting stage visual, maybe a little something for a conversation piece that would help people remember the band better. So I've been looking through old toys and prowling thrift stores. As of today the following little vignette is sitting on my amp...

[​IMG]

Who else is doing something to create some visual flair for your stage set?

2. pfox14

pfox14

Rush has done some weird stuff with their stage setup including having washing machines and dryers on stage. I don't get it personally.

3. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

That looks a little psychotic honestly.

Geddys backline is one of the things I can't stand about him. It's ok if he likes the iem thing but the fact that he has chicken rotisserie where his amp should be tells me he is a little cocky about his beliefs. He always came of as one of those people who think their smarter than everyone else.

4. robd

robd Supporting Member

I sometimes sport one of these on top of my amp. Fun to twist between songs and see who asks about it during the breaks

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

You apparently don't get Geddy's humor then.
    He puts those things there because he goes direct and doesn't have the big stacks of amps that other bands have. He wanted to have something to fill in the empty space so he started out with refrigerators then Maytag dryers with Rush T-shirts in them, followed by the Rotisserie machines. It's just for fun and fits his quirky sense of humor perfectly.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Is that a chrome plated piggy bank? Too bad it doesn't have marital aids stuck all over its body (obscure Zappa reference).

:bag:

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Once bought a used cab that had a burlap horse feed sack for a grill, but that's as far out of the norm I've ever gotten with my rig.

I did have a logo from a local radio station airbrushed on my bass once. It was a pink flamingo head and neck in a circle with the station name and freq number making up the circle. It was part of a promo for the station and since it was mostly pink and black it didn't have to be that big for it to really pop on my all white bass. They paid to have it applied and I also got enough cash out of the deal to buy another nice used bass so it was a win all the way around for me. I always thought of it in terms of getting paid to do a job rather than making a personal statement though.

9. M0ses

M0ses

So, what, you'd rather he had fake amps like everyone else?

10. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

A local drummer used to put a Chuckie doll on his kick drum. It would shake as he hit the kick. Really kind of creepy. I asked why he did that. His reply "So people would remember me as the drummer with the Chuckie doll." By the way he is an excellent drummer with or without Chuckie.

11. hrodbert696

Well, I look a little psychotic, honestly.

I am a bit worried that Treebeard will start stalking Barbie now that he's seen her on TV.

LIKE!

It is! It's the "gig pig" my son got me for my birthday a couple of years ago to save up GAS money. I haven't listened to much Zappa, what's the reference? Marital aids are a good idea but I have kids in the house...

Your drummer and I are on the same wavelength, I think.

12. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I played for a couple years with a bassist who always had a Lava Lamp on top of his rig. I thought that it was sort of cool.

My new rig consists of an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro in the bottom of a six space SKB rack with a Furman in the top space. I ordered a 3 space grille and a short red LED strip light that will cast a glow behind the grill.

13. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Oh I know he's trying to be funny/clever/Whitty, but I find it more not so funny/clever/kinda douchey. Kinda like his personality. Great player though.

14. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

You can buy fake nipples online. They are for women who lost their breast. Anyway, you put them on your lights on your furman. Then, and only then you can say you have a nice rack.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Sy Borg is a character from the album Joes's Garage. He's a nuclear powered model XQJ-37 Pan-Sexual Oratal Plooker said to resemble "a cross between an industrial vacuum cleaner and a chrome piggy bank with marital aids stuck all over its body".

:bag:

16. GlennW

GlennW

Since he was awarded the Oscar, Dylan's been setting it on an amp at his concerts.

17. dalkowski

dalkowski

That's as may be, but it would've been nice if he's shared the popcorn he was making on stage at the Clockwork Angels show I attended.

:D

18. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I take my Fender light sometimes. It's fiber optic and is animated. Looks awesome.

19. hrodbert696

Yeah, back in the rotisserie days I wondered who ate all that chicken. Did the roadies eat chicken for dinner every night? Was chicken dinner part of the VIP backstage pass deal? Did they roast the same couple dozen chickens every night, for weeks, through the whole tour? Or did they get fresh chickens every night and then just throw them out? The mind boggles....

20. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

I usually have too much stuff on top of my amp already, what with the guitarist plopping his stuff down there too. No room for flair.
    One of my cabs had a souvenir mini CA license plate with my name pasted on the grill for a few years, but it fell off. That's about as flairy as I've gotten.

21. dalkowski

dalkowski

Geddy Lee = the Wade Boggs of Canadian rock?