1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Flat wound B string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MoeGJBeener, Feb 12, 2013.

1. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I did a search and couldn't find much.

I recently strung one of my 4 string P's with chromes and fell in love. I'm thinking about getting some for my stingray 5 to see how the sound on it. My problem is, I can't find anything on here or YouTube about flat wound B strings. I know they make them, just not sure how they sound/feel. Anyone have any experience? I'm kinda picky about how a B string feels on my stingray. A .130 Ernie ball cobalt is the only string I've found that I like on it.
  2. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

If you are talking about looking to purchase a single low-B string, then try: http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

Since you are specifically talking about D'Addario Chromes, I can say from recent experience that they are enjoyable strings, including the low-B. I have been using my new flatwounds for a couple of weeks now, and LOVE them. I purchased medium-gauge 4-string set (40-60-80-100), and added the low-B single. This kept my tensions relatively even, since typically I previously found the D and G strings to feel like they could be used by tightrope-walkers compared to the other three strings.
  3. MoeGJBeener

I actually was just on BSO before I posted this! Haha!

Good to hear you dig them. I may to the same thing you did gauge wise. May I ask what bass you strung them on?
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Many flat wound B strings sound great!

Some of my favorite B strings are flatwound B strings.
  5. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

I have Chromes on my Nordy VJ5M and LaBella Nylon Tapewound on my fretless Stingray 5

Both are nice...
  6. MoeGJBeener

Good to know!
  7. MoeGJBeener

I was checking tapes too!
  8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

I have LaBella flat wounds on my P5 and LaBella tapes on one of my Brad Houser 5 Reverend's. Both B's are excellent.

Rezdog
  9. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

I don't know if they have them for 5's or not but the new LaBella white tapes are amazing!! I have a set on my acoustic and love them. Got them from BSO too
  10. MoeGJBeener

Glad to hear!
  11. MoeGJBeener

Are tapes as smooth as flats? I don't quite get it?
  12. warnergt

warnergt

13. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

I think they feel smoother. They're basically the same things but different outer layers. The D'Addario tapes are good too. Pick up a cheap set and give them a try. That s what I did and now I love their mellow sound on my Martin
  14. famousbirds

famousbirds

Fender 9050 stainless flat is my favorite. I use them on a G&L L-2500 to good effect. B string is snug, plays cleanly and sounds good muted.

FWIW I use the .045 - .125 set
  15. MoeGJBeener

Are the TI's as bright as the chromes? I'm not a fan of a really dull sound. I like the bite chromes have. That would be the smart way to try a string, though!
  16. MoeGJBeener

Are they a little on the brighter side like Chromes since they're stainless?
  17. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    TI flats are more midrange focused.

You will find fenders to be bright similar to chromes
  18. mowmwbass

mowmwbass

I've been using Chrome for about 5 month now and B string is pretty dead compare to the other strings.
    I adjusted the string height so that B string can swing freely without fret buz when struck strong and re-adjusted the PU height accordingly. It came back to life and sounds pretty good again.
  19. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I played chromes on my Tobias Killer B for years. I played all kinds of styles you would think to use with flatwounds, and I even lent it to a friend in a Metal band. He was skeptical of the flats, but played it at a few shows and was a total convert. He now plays punk and metal with flats all the time.
    I don't have the fiver anymore, but I recall the chromes being the best balanced strings I ever had on that bass. And the little extra stiffness of the flats really helped focus the low B.