Flats for '74 Telecaster Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MechEngr, Aug 24, 2013.

1. MechEngr

MechEngr

I'm restoring a '74 Fender Telecaster bass using only vintage parts and to stock specs, and being that it's a string-through body, (I don't know if standard 34" scale strings fit correctly), I'd like to get some suggestions on flatwound strings that won't be too long or too short. Any Telebass guys out there to help me out?
  2. gary m

gary m

Either GHS Precision Flats or Pyramids.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

+1

GHS for true vintage flatwound tone. Fender Flats for todays bright flatwound sound.
  4. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Another vote for the GHS P flats.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MechEngr

MechEngr

Excellent; thanks folks. I see that GHS has the "long scale plus" strings, and I'll guess they had string-through bodies in mind.
  7. THRAK2

THRAK2 Gold Supporting Member

I have a 72 Precision and the MTD/LaBella flats sound insane on it. It never sounded this good.
  8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I assume the 74 Tele-Bass has a Fender Humbucker pickup ?

I found that grounds wounds work well with this pickup.
    Ken Smith Compressors are great with these basses.
    They also have a nice feel.
    Flats seem to be a little muddy, less defined.

Also La Bella Smooth Rounds would fit the bill.

If you must have flats TI JF344's are the way to go.
  9. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

With the mention of LaBella flats, be advised that you'll need the purpose made thru-body set that's designed to handle that sharp angle – I think it has something to do with their insanely close wraps.

Pretty much all the other brand flats string through just fine.
  10. MechEngr

MechEngr

Mojo-Man, yes, I have the original '74 Fender humbucker. I'll look into any string you guys suggest, ground wound or otherwise, that's known to fit the Telecaster Bass properly and sound good. SasquatchDude & THRAK2 - thanks for the La Bella tips.
  11. iiipopes

iiipopes

This would probably originally had Fender flats. No, the new Fender flats do not sound exactly like the old ones; the new ones have more midrange. But the mudbucker can use those extra mids, and it will still sound vintage, but with needed definition. That lack of definition is why I didn't get one when they were new all those years ago. Again, the original set would probably have been the 50-100, but they come in a variety of gauges, including the more balanced 9050CL 45-60-80-105.
  12. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Get something comfortable to play, 'cause with the big HB pup, the tone won't vary too much. I had a '73 Tele Bass for a while and I always ran the brightest stainless round wound on it jI could find ust so I could get "some" definition. Chromes would be my flat of choice for the Tele pup.
  13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I had a 73' and ran Chromes on it since it needed a brighter flat to sound good with the mudbucker.
  14. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

I've had good results with D' Addario half rounds on my 72 Tele.

Cheers,
    Jim
  15. MechEngr

MechEngr

Thanks again, folks. I ordered a set of the 55-105 GHS Precision flats. If those don't work out well, I'll give one of the brighter sets a try. Hey, ya gotta start somewhere.
  16. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Another BIG recommendation here for the "new" Fender 9050CL SS flats. They most definitely do NOT sound "muddy" to my ears. In fact, they are the flat that convinced me to forsake roundwounds altogether. They now grace all of my functioning basses. I have not put them on a bass yet where they did not sound much better than the strings that had been on them previously.

I'm picking them up online for as little as $25.00 a set, shipped. Nice feel, well balanced, long lasting, decently priced...how can you go wrong?
  17. MechEngr

MechEngr

Mike in Texas - I agree on the 9050CL flats - I have them on other basses. But I wanted to try something different on this Telebass. Thanks!