1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

flats for Ibanez AFB200 ss hollowbody

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rugaar, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Rugaar

Rugaar

I recently picked up a 30.3" scale Ibanez AFB200 hollowbody off the TB classified. It's still got the factory strings and I'd like to replace them with some flats. I was looking at LaBella Deep Talkin' but I'm unsure on which length to get--medium or standard long. Ibanez recommends mediums for the Artcore line.

LaBella lists mediums as 34" ball-end to silk and longs as 37" ball-end to silk. The Ibanez measures ~34" ball to nut, ~36.25" ball to closest tuners and ~38.75" ball to furthest tuners. I emailed LaBella CS and was told that none of their standard sets will fit and that they could make me a custom set, 3 sets min and not til after the holidays. That's not really the route I'd like to go.

Anyone put LaBella's on their Ibby? Any other suggestions that'll fit? I've got Chromes on my P but wanted the thumpier sound from the LaBella's for the hollowbody. Thanks.
  2. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

You might, just, if you're very lucky, get the long scale set on. I did once (Labella longs on a shortscale DeArmond Starfire) and the unsilked part on the string would round the tuner. The tone was awesome by comparison to a Roto medium scale set (much fatter E on the Labellas).

The second time I tried it, the E string broke on the portion that wound round the tuner. 1 wasted set of strings. Well, if the shop hadn't take pity on me and given me a replacement.

You are much better off pursuing the right length string ... but the long set might be an option provided you're willing to risk a ruined set of strings
  3. Rugaar

Rugaar

Thanks. What about the medium set? The silk starts at 34" per LaBella and that's approx where the nut is on the Ibby? Furthest tuners are 4.75" more. How much silk wrap is on the strings? Surely there'd be enough to reach?

I'll email Ibanez CS and see if they have any suggestions, too.
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

You need medium scale strings for that bass.

Short scales will not work at all. Long scale might work, but you might have trouble with the tuners.

I have that bass, and have La Bella 760FS medium scale strings for it. Perfect match.
  5. Rugaar

Rugaar

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks! I'll order order some today!
  6. donn

donn

I believe it, but let us know how they fit anyway. It's a shame La Bella couldn't have told you that.
  7. Rugaar

Rugaar

Yeah, I assume it's not a perfect fit like LaBella would recommend but I was thinking I'd order some and try it anyway, even before jasper 383 chimed in.

I also emailed Ibanez and D'Addario. I'll post their replies, too.

And I'll definitely post up when I get the strings. I haven't even posted any pix or my review yet.
  8. Rugaar

Rugaar

Ok, I had a bit of a delay but here we go.

I got the medium scale, installed them and was checking my tuning and intonation when the D string popped at the tuner. Dang! But LaBella's awesome customer service came through and the bad string was promptly replaced. Thanks, LaBella!

They fit is close but just barely. I'm extremely happy with the sound, though, so no big deal.

[​IMG]