Flats for Squier VM Mustang

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Nov 22, 2013.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Looking for advice on the best flatwound strings for my Squier VM Mustang bass. I want a flatwound string with the most sustain.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Sustain isn't really a feature of flatwounds in general. Maybe try pressurewounds?
  3. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Any recommendations for brand?
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dean Markley, Ken Smith, GHS, and rotosound all make them but not in shortscale. GHS used to, but they're discontinued now as far as I know.

Are you sure it's sustain that you want? Not brightness? Daddario chromes and rotosound flats are the brightest.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Well, given that most short scale basses lack sustain when compared to a standard 34" scale bass, I was hoping to use a flatwound string that gives "some" sustain all the while being well aware that flats, by their very nature, sustain less than roundwounds. Maybe I'm trying to get something that doesn't exist.
  7. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

I'm in the same boat (or reed basket) as you, Moses. Haven't yet tried everything out there but so far the sustain winner is Chromes, with D'addario tapewounds a close 2nd place.

Seeing as how your Mustang is string-through you'll need medium scale strings, which is ECB81M for the Chromes and ETB92M for the tapewounds in case you want to try either.