Flats on a fretted Ken Smith?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmrumedy, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Just wondering if any one on here have experimented with putting flats, specifically TI flats, on their fretted Ken Smith bass?

Results? Comments?

2. dudelove

dudelove

many use flats on fretted basses, there is something about then that make them unique
    i may not the best advicer on this one, i never tried flats. but i liked them on youtube

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

The only reason not to try flats on your Ken Smith would be any regret you might feel if you didn't like the tone. And of course the loss of money spent on the TI flats (which are not cheap).

I've never owned a Smith, but I always keep flats/halfs/tapes on at least one bass.

4. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

You nailed it Fuzzbass. I string my Smith low E - C so I generally have to buy 6 string sets and not use the B. A 6 string set of TI's is stupid money expensive just for a trial and error experiment.

Was hoping one of the KS guys had gone before me on this experiment.

I just bought a Victor Bailey Jazz 4 string with preamp removed and wired totally passive. The VB is a darker sounding jazz so I guess am going to use that one as my " test subject". The bass doesn't arrive until March though when my buddy brings it up to Canada from CT.

5. Register to disable this ad