1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Flats on a Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jsllim, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jsllim

jsllim

Hey guys,

Tried a search, didn't get the results I was looking for. I just got a new Fender American Standard Jazz for Christmas, I love it, it has the stock rounds on them now. I put some flats on my other jazz about a year ago and fell in love with them. When talking to another bassist about my new bass and how I will eventually put some flats on my new bass, he cautioned/warned me that flats would eventually start "bending/damaging" my neck or whatever opposed to rounds. Is there any truth in this statement at all? I don't understand how flatwound strings would bend your neck more or cause more damage to a neck than roundwire's would. I want to take care of my new baby and don't want to do anything to potentially harm/damage it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JM
  2. DriesG

DriesG

Flats are made for p basses... :bag:

No: it's completely safe. I've played for about 2 years with TI flats on my '72 j and really liked them. Made my j sound really warm with a big bottom.
  3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Hey JM. All I can think of is that he meant that higher tension strings put more tension on a bass' neck. Well, the only response to that is...duh. However, there would not be enough tension in any set of "normal" strings that would do this to a non-faulty neck.
    String up those flats, enjoy, best sound IMO are flats on a Jazz.
  4. abemo

abemo

If anything, rounds are more likely to cause an issue by wearing into the fretboard. Totally safe.
  5. Emibass

Emibass

My am. Std. Jazz had Sadowsky flats on it. Sounded amazing. I had to sell it to fund my Adamovic wich sounds more amazing. :)
  6. Fretless55

Fretless55

I have TI flats on my Highway One jazz (sounds great...)
    Gave it a new set up due to LOWER tension...
  7. blocbul

blocbul

You might just need a slight adjustment on the trusrod to counter the additional tension if any.
    Used flats (Daddario chromes 45/100) on Jazz for years with no issue
  8. Jiker75

Jiker75 The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

I got Fender flats on my jazz and I will never change back to rounds on that bass. (and no, there has been no neck issues)
  9. jsllim

jsllim

Ok cool. Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't think there was any problem putting flats on my jazz, just taking precaution and making sure I wasn't missing out on any info.
  10. hotbass57

hotbass57

I put lite gauge GHS precision flats on my jazz. just had to tweak the neck an 1/8 turn. they sound great and silky smooth.
  11. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

I have an affinity jazz V. As soon as I got it, I put XL Med adjusted the truss rod about 1/4 turn(over a couple days, it is an affinity). A couple of months later I decided to flats on, as I love em on my VM tele.

So0o... I put Chrome Med Light on and lowered the action from 7/64ths to 3/64ths. I had to then back the truss rod a 1/6th turn. Even though the Chromes have more tension, lowering the action had (I assume) put less bowing tension on the neck.

Take from it what ya will.

Dave :bassist:
  12. circuitspore

circuitspore Supporting Member

I think the fact that Fender basses were shipped with factory-installed flatwounds until the early 80's is lost on most bass players. As far as I know, there hasn't been a mass epidemic of vintage Fender Jazz bass necks turning themselves into starter bow-and-arrow kits.
  13. Alex Da Silva

Alex Da Silva

+1 circuitspore

Go Ahead!
    It will be fine
    You might need to adjust the truss rod a little bit.

A relatively long time ago I had my Jazz-style Bass strung with a heavy set (I got by accident, thinking it was med-light) of Fender Flats (the old ones) for more than a Year and a half, the neck barely noticed a thing.
    Right now I have 40-95 Chromes on it, but not due to being cautious not to stress the neck.
  14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

15. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I've had La Bella 760FL flats on my '62 AV Jazz since 2008. Neck is solid as granite.
  16. soulman969

soulman969

+ 1 To both.

I'm one of that bunch who feels that you rob a JBass of it's broad tonal range by using flats but I also realize it's all a matter of personal taste. One other option you might consider for the Jazz is a set of Pressure Wound strings. They're on the mellower end of the tonal spectrum but still offer full tonal versatility and they have a very nice "feel" to them.

And tell that other bassist he doesn't know what in the hell he's talking about and to stop giving advice based on inaccurate information. :rollno: The string tension of some rounds is even greater than that of some flats and that's what exerting pressure on the neck. String manufacturers wouldn't stay in business long if their products damaged a bass.

Consider what he told you an urban legend or worse. :eyebrow:
  17. kevteop

kevteop

Flats do less damage than rounds. I'm sure everybody would agree with that.

I also think flats suit a Jazz bass better than they do a P.
  18. soulman969

soulman969

Why? I'm always curious about that point of view.
  19. I Can't Dance

I Can't Dance

I put flats on my Sadowsky standard 5, and I love 'em! I was able to lower the action quite a bit because of the lack of fret buzz. Just a minor tweek to the truss rod and I was good to go. I can still get a very aggressive sound by digging in a bit. Bonus having absolutely no string "squeek" during position shifts.
  20. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

You get more tonal variety, while staying in the "theme" of flats. Like motown with a kick.