1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flats on a MM Stingray Classic

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bob Palmer, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

Hey all,

I'm a recent convert to flats - absoutely love them on all of my basses (and trying different brands on different instruments and seeing what sticks). So I am looking for a set specifically for my Music Man Stingray Classic 4-string. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Why not give the Ernie Ball flats a try? I bet they'd sound great on that bass.

3. kilgoja

kilgoja

what is it with flats and people on talkbass? i would never even consider playing flats. i play with a pick. really i don't even know what flats are to be honest. are they those black strings that are almost plastic feeling? i played those once on a bass in a guitar store. they just didn't have any brightness to them at all. very muddy sounding.

4. Salamenster

Salamenster

If you haven't ever played them, don't judge'em. If you're a bright tone w/pick person, they might indeed not be your thing at all. But most of us fingerstyle peepz love'em to death. They make your bass sound like a bass, and not just a lower guitar. A special niche on it's own in the mix.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kilgoja

kilgoja

yeah i play with a pick but i have plenty of bass too. my bass typically sounds like the bass on the nirvana nevermind album. that deep low end and growly high mids cutting through the mix.

7. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I thought they were pretty cool until I put rounds back on and realized how much harmonic content was missing when I had flats on. Some people dig it, some people don't. I find em dull.

8. portlandguy

portlandguy

9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I use LaBella 760FS .045-.105's on my SLO SUB 4 (poor mans Classic)
    I tried Chromes but I like the Labella's better.

I play it finger style and with a pic

10. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

Apparently you missed the bit where I was not asking *whether* I should play flats, but more specifically, *which* flats people found work best on a very specific bass. Do you also go to the double bass forums and troll about how you would never play DB because it doesn't sound like Nirvana, or is this public dose of ignorance an isolated phenomenon?

11. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

Thanks - I have Sadowsky black labels on my fiver, which my bandmates are still raving about, and I heard that they were similar to the Labellas. May have to give them a try

12. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I have GHS Precision Flats on my SR5 Classic. I thoroughly enjoy that sound especially on the gigs.

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

I recently picked up an 83 two band preamp Stingray and I want to put flats on it. My favorite are LaBella 760FL but I have those on my P Bass. I also like TI's on a Stingray. The DR's and Sadowskys are great two. I am thinking about the Ernie Ball flats too but I am not sure what the tension is like. I am not a fan of high tension strings.

14. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Flats are great on Stingrays.

TI Jazz Flats or Chromes are probably the two favorite flats (on Talk Bass) to put on a Ray.

15. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

This:
    "Good Times" Chic

And if you like using a pick, this:
    "School Boy Crush" Average White Band

Many other examples, but these two are always top of mind for me.

16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I put the Sadowsky Black Labels on my P5 when I got it.
    I love them, they have become my favorite flats.

I didn't know about the Black Labels when I put the LaBella's on my Ray. If I had I would have put them on it, but at the cost to change them and and the amount of use my Ray gets the LaBella's will stay.

You asked what we had on our Ray's.

17. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

Meant try the LaBellas :) I had heard that the Sadowskys were manufactured by LaBella, and given I had good luck with Sadowskys (I have, on various bases, a combo of Sadowsky, GHS Precisions, and Roto 77's), assumed there would be a similar tone/feel from the LaBellas.

18. ldervish

ldervish

D'Addario Half-Rounds sound great too, still have that "flat" feel.

19. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

Funny, I was thinking about putting Ernie Ball flats on my OLP MM3. I'm glad someone else is thinking of this stuff for me...

Video comparison of 3 different flats on a stingray...

20. ale29

ale29

Not a stringray classic (a regular SR 4 here), but hope this sample is of any use for you, despite the sloppy execution.
    EB Flats, eq flat, a low pass filter set at 5khz to "emulate" the behavior of a regular bass cab w/o tweeter.
    http://www.gospel.bo.it/displayimage-16619.html

21. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

GHS Precision Flats sound great on a Stingray!