1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flats on a string-thru? Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shorty4life, Apr 8, 2014.

1. shorty4life

shorty4life Supporting Member

I really like the sound & feel of La Bella DT Flats (medium guage). And just picked up a Fender P Bass Jr which is best strung thru-body. But these strings seem really tense and I'm worried they will break at the saddles. Anybody here stringing this string set thru-body? And having any problems with broken strings?... I could string through the bridge's tail but I think it will lose some focus... thanks!

shorty

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Go to http://www.bassstringsonline.com, Jason has a great selection of DTFs that are designed to be strung through. I use 760FS-TB, the standard gauge LaBella, strung through on my Am. Std. P bass. You have to use the TB variants, as the standard ones will break if strung through. However, the through body strings are phenomenal.

3. shorty4life

I've already got an order (seems out of stock) for a set of shorty copper tapes for the P Jr... Didn't even know about the specific flats for string-thru. I'll contact Jason to see if he has them in stock for shorties... Thanks!

4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Although I use TI flats now I've used Labella flats for many years with string thru bridges. Never had a break or any other negative issue with any flats using string thru.
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

That makes me nervous, as I have a fretless VI TB but the strings aren't. They are the non TB LaBella FM-XL's. Can't switch now, and I like string through instead of bridge mount, as I've seen enough bridges pulling out, and it's already there.

lol I just orderd a set of GHS p-XL's as a backups from Jason. I think I'm gonna have to go buy another VI'er fretted 35" scale just to put those on, so I can order the right Labellas for the fretless. Yep, I think we got a winner here!

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Regular GHS Precision flats can be used safely on a through body as well.

8. shorty4life

Can't one simply place a few nuts and bolts (and washers) into the thru-body holes for added security?

9. shorty4life

I realky like playing shorties but the reduced string options are annoying. Thinking I might rig my other shorty (not the P Jr) to be double-string-thru so I can use long scale strings

10. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

+1

I have them on my Lakland and they work and sound great. Be patient, they make each set to order and mine took about a month before Jason was able to ship them. However, they are really great strings and worth the wait. I also really loved the GHS Precision Flats, and those don't have to be special order for string through. They sound more thumpy, not as smooth sounding as the LaBellas.

11. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

I could do that, but I'm kinda a "keep stock" kinda guy. For the couple of bucks the GHS were, and they have become my defacto most loved flats. I'm soon going to put them on (if not for any other reason, but to pre-break em in) and put the LaBellas in the case.

12. shorty4life

Spoke to Jason and decided ob a set of Chromes for the P Jr, and a new set of LaBella flats for my 32" Aerodyne Jazz :)

13. shorty4life

I also considered the GHS precision flats but many reviews said how "sticky" they are and I really dislike how the GHS Brite Flats feel/sound on my 32" Aerodyne. Too sticky and unbalanced tone/tension. I have a set of Chromes on my 34" fretless and like them much better than the GHS Brites. But they don't "sing" like the LaBellas

14. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

They are not sticky at all. They are as smooth as it gets. Brite Flats are another story...any ground wound string is sticky. GHS Precision Flats and Pressurewounds are very smooth!

15. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

GHS Precisions are definitely not sticky. Very smooth.

16. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

I don't know about Fender Precision Jr, but I had a Sting Precision Bass which is string through body, I use La Bella Jamerson and nothing bad ever happened.

17. shorty4life

The P Jr uses a standard Fender bridge, so most likely the risk is about equal

18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    + for GHS Precision flats (med) on string-thru basses. LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats are good also - very silky feeling.

19. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I just ordered some La Bella Deep Talkin' 760F-MUS flats thru Jason for my "new" MW Mustang which is string-through. I certainly hope that they are properly configured to be used on these without breaking!

20. kevmc28

kevmc28

I wonder if they say "not for strung through body" for litigation purposes.

I haven't had a problem.

21. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Labella had some problems with flats breaking when strung through-body, but the last I heard of it actually happening was years ago. They are probably just playing it safe now.