Flats on an Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

So I have my cheapy GSR200 which has a nice growl that I love. But after giving this bass more and more play time its too trebly for my tastes and has a plastic sounding tone.

The only thing I can think of to mellow it out and give it a more natural feel is a set of flats. It currently has XLs. What do you all think?

Side note: am I wierd that I will have/want all of my basses strung with flats? :ninja:
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I had an SR300 that I intended to put flats on, to contrast the rounds on my SR505...but I ended up selling it before i could do so. I think it would have been fine, though.
  3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

No sir, you're not weird. I strung my Ibby GSR200EX with flats just over two years ago. I've used Fender 9050's and Chromes. Now I use Ernie Ball flatwounds. I like them the most, as I can buy them as singles. This saves money, because I converted this Ibby to BEAD tuning.
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Chromes or Fender flats. 45-100 set.

Try them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Ibanez + flats = good enough for Carol Kaye :)
  7. Raymeous

Raymeous

Flats on an Ibanez? Why the heck not?

I was never a fan of flats the few times I'd tried them over the years. However, after going through several posts here on TB I broke down and put some flats on my P-Bass-Special and now I'm really enjoying them. It just works on that bass for whatever reason. I still have rounds on my other basses though.

Just put the flats on your Ibanez, give it a month just to make sure one way or the other, and if you don't like them, switch them out and go back to round wounds. This should not be a major decision. It’s not like once you try out flats you have to commit to marrying them. Take them on a few dates, have some fun caressing them, and hopefully you’ll find your match. :D
  8. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Yep, go for it! I had Chromes on a GSR200 and it worked beautifully. Give it a try!
  9. zfunkman

zfunkman

Flats are good for any bass. After using round wounds for years I discovered that a set of good flat wounds actually gives you more control over your tone. You can definitely get a fatter tone but by using the EQ on your bass and amp you can also get a bright tone that will still have some "fatness." Since I went to flat wounds I will never go back to rounds. In fact, I'm not quite sure why round wound bass strings are so much more popular than flats.
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I was in a two-bass band a few years ago. The other guy played an Ibanez Soundgear with a foam mute and TI Jazz flats. Sounded great. A very different tone than what I was going for (I was all about bright and modern), but that's why it worked.
  11. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I am already a convert. I have flats on my Jag and its a beautiful thing. I thought the Ibby would be my "rounds" bass. But it just isnt happening. Would it be a good idea to go with the same guage as whats on it .45-.105?
  12. rockscott

rockscott

I have chromes on my ibanez artcore, sounds beautiful!
  13. David Jayne

David Jayne

Fixed.
    :D