Flats on an Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 28, 2012.

1. So I have my cheapy GSR200 which has a nice growl that I love. But after giving this bass more and more play time its too trebly for my tastes and has a plastic sounding tone.

The only thing I can think of to mellow it out and give it a more natural feel is a set of flats. It currently has XLs. What do you all think?

Side note: am I wierd that I will have/want all of my basses strung with flats? :ninja:
  2. I had an SR300 that I intended to put flats on, to contrast the rounds on my SR505...but I ended up selling it before i could do so. I think it would have been fine, though.
  3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    No sir, you're not weird. I strung my Ibby GSR200EX with flats just over two years ago. I've used Fender 9050's and Chromes. Now I use Ernie Ball flatwounds. I like them the most, as I can buy them as singles. This saves money, because I converted this Ibby to BEAD tuning.
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Chromes or Fender flats. 45-100 set.

Try them.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Ibanez + flats = good enough for Carol Kaye :)
  7. Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Flats on an Ibanez? Why the heck not?

I was never a fan of flats the few times I'd tried them over the years. However, after going through several posts here on TB I broke down and put some flats on my P-Bass-Special and now I'm really enjoying them. It just works on that bass for whatever reason. I still have rounds on my other basses though.

Just put the flats on your Ibanez, give it a month just to make sure one way or the other, and if you don't like them, switch them out and go back to round wounds. This should not be a major decision. It’s not like once you try out flats you have to commit to marrying them. Take them on a few dates, have some fun caressing them, and hopefully you’ll find your match. :D
  8. Yep, go for it! I had Chromes on a GSR200 and it worked beautifully. Give it a try!
  9. zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Flats are good for any bass. After using round wounds for years I discovered that a set of good flat wounds actually gives you more control over your tone. You can definitely get a fatter tone but by using the EQ on your bass and amp you can also get a bright tone that will still have some "fatness." Since I went to flat wounds I will never go back to rounds. In fact, I'm not quite sure why round wound bass strings are so much more popular than flats.
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Aug 11, 2012
    I was in a two-bass band a few years ago. The other guy played an Ibanez Soundgear with a foam mute and TI Jazz flats. Sounded great. A very different tone than what I was going for (I was all about bright and modern), but that's why it worked.
  11. I am already a convert. I have flats on my Jag and its a beautiful thing. I thought the Ibby would be my "rounds" bass. But it just isnt happening. Would it be a good idea to go with the same guage as whats on it .45-.105?
  12. rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    I have chromes on my ibanez artcore, sounds beautiful!
  13. Fixed.