1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Flats that are "off the grid"?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shawshank72, Feb 4, 2011.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

I have tried every flatwound by a major manufacturer, what im looking for is some flats made by smaller or unknown companies and what were your experiences with them.
  2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Well, what sound are you looking for? Jamerson/McCartney thump or a more growly sound?

Problem is, bass strings are a bit like VCRs; many variations made by only a few manufacturers. That said, there can be some significant variations in them, but maybe not so much as in rounds.

Have you really tried at least ten distinctly different sets of flats, including the nylon tapes?
  3. mongo2

mongo2

What have you already tried?

Without knowing that anything we post is just a SWAG.
  4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Curt Mangan
  5. shawshank72

Do you have experience with these?
    What are they like?
  6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Played them on a friends bass; medium tension, smooth feel, punchy.

Never used them personally.

Another one to consider are the Ken Smith Slick Rounds, I've used these; not completely smooth but feel nice, nice round, punchy tone too, medium tension.
  7. pringlw

pringlw

Not sure if you've tried them, but I've landed on Pyramid flats for my fretless. The thumpiest, most "double bass" sounding flats on the planet. Makes sense, they also make double bass strings. Very $$ but they last literally forever.
  8. shawshank72

Have you really tried at least ten distinctly different sets of flats, including the nylon tapes?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have, I bought a set of 5yr old chromes off a fellow tber and they are incredible. But how often can you find used old flats? Been going through lots of sets and am just looking to go outside the box for a more obscure brand trying to find some hidden gold.
  9. panama

panama

strings literally lasting forever is not possible.
  10. pringlw

pringlw

Well, ok perhaps not literally forever, but 5 to 8 years or more is very practical. They just get thumpier and thumpier.
  11. michaeln

michaeln

Anything's possible on the internet where you don't have to back up statements with facts. ;-)
  12. markanini

markanini

Status: Thin sounding and floppy. Picato: Very smooth sounding, may come off as dull. Optima: Wonderful!
  13. DTF

DTF Supporting Member

vote for pyramids
  14. spiltcoil

spiltcoil

Have you tried Thomastik? Like was mentioned, without knowing what you have tried makes this thread pointless.
  15. shawshank72

16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Sound City Flatwounds.......UGH Made in England. Don't waste your time. I use Chromes on 5 of my basses.
  17. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Never tried them myself, but I've heard good things about Galli and Curt Magnan flats.
  18. jessicabass

jessicabass

I know this was my brothers thread many years ago, but im looking to hear more about this subject myself.
    So back from the dead.
  19. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative Supporting Member

Dogal, makes a variety of flats. Their "Jaco" series, are tonally similar to TI's, the tension feels slightly stiffer, but not by much.
    The Dogal, "Traditional system flat wound" strings are similar to Chromes.

Recently, I've taken quite the shine to DR Legends.
  20. unclebass

unclebass

Not sure if Curt Mangan is making flats anymore. Not able to find them on his website. If you are interested in trying them, you may have to contact him directly to see if they have been discontinued. May be worth a try, I have played his nickel and stainless roundwounds, and I love them both.