Flats that can be strung through the body!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funkybass, Dec 3, 2012.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Some brand of flat wound strings such as LaBella say you cannot string through the body. I have a Fender Mark Hoppus P bass That I want to put flat wound strings on. Are there any brand of flats that can be strung through the body? I know the Mark Hoppus P is not the ideal bass for an R&B sound but it's all I've got right now. Thanks.
  2. RCCollins

RCCollins

It's not the worst bass for an r&b sound, either. Most flats (even LaBellas IME) can be strung through-body. LaBella just doesn't want to replace the odd string that comes unwrapped by bending (fair enough).

My choice for getting an old-school r&b sound out of the Hoppus bass would be GHS precision flats. I'd also consider adding a tone control, which can be a pretty cheap mod. But just going with flats will get you partway there.
  3. funkybass

funkybass

I also have a stingray 4. If I added a piece of foam and flats I could get a decent old school r&b sound?
  4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Chromed can go through the body but you have to get the Super Longs or they won't be long enough.
  5. RCCollins

RCCollins

Sure, but I'd go with the Hoppus before the Stingray. YMMV.
  6. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

La Bella makes a String-Thru version of their flatwounds now. Below is a link to BSO's page for Long Scale+ flatwounds. Even if the packaging does not specify they are long enough for string-thru/35" scale - they are. From my experience, I know DR, Rotos, GHS, and Fenders have no problem w/string thru. Also, if you search the forums, users have also reported safe string-thru with EB flats.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Flatwound_c_1263.html
  7. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

You can string flats through the body.

FWIW my Hoppus loves the crap out of a broken in set of GHS Brite Flats.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    D'Addario Chromes
    DR Hi-Beam Flats (legends)
    Ernie Ball Flats
    Fender Flats
    GHS Precision Flats
    La Bella Deep Talkin Flats / 1954 Originals (MUST BE THRU-BODY SPECIFIC VERSIONS)
    Pyramids
    Rotosounds
    Thomastik-Infeld

That pretty much covers mot of them.... Main thing you need to figure is the correct length for your thru-body instrument... But the seller of the strings should help you out with that once you provide spec's on your instrument ;)
  9. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Sadowsky
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Question was CAN...

Sadowsky flats can NOT be strung thru-body.
  11. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    well, my jazz it´s strung with sadowsky flats trough the body (for 3 years now). I asked Roger before doing so.
  12. funkybass

funkybass

Maybe I should've talked to you before I placed my order. I just ordered the 54 la bella set from you, string through body version. Hopefully they will be long enough for the hoppus p bass.
  13. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

I asked Roger about that once, and he said it *should* be okay. I only did the low-B, but it was great. Stayed that way for about a year.

It does warn you away from it on the package, but I would assume that it only means they're not going to cover it if it snaps or unwinds or whatever...
  14. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    If you can measure from the back of the ball end to just past the nut we will know for sure.

Should be within 37"
  15. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Every instrument is different. If the break angle isn't too extreme they will work.

Usually the tapered B string doesn't sit right on the saddle as the taper may not clear the saddle completely.

But like I said this is instrument specific.
  16. iiipopes

iiipopes

I have Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 strung through the body. Of course, I have the string-through on the E string as far back as it can go to minimize the break angle over the saddle, and the G string string-through as far forward as it can go to come straight down to give the best seating and sustain as possible.
  17. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

It was better for me to string the Sad flats through body because the taper actually didn't reach the saddle. I was able to set the action and intonation better with the full-thickness string than the tapered portion.
  18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I have used Chromes,TI JF and Fender flats all thru body no issues.
  19. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    The Taper section is probably what made it so the B string could go through the body. The tapered section is more flexible than the rest of the string.
  20. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

"as far back as it can go"
    "as far forward as it can go"

Are you talking about the saddles? If so, I don't trust that method, I trust proper intonation.

And you don't have to buy an extra long scale set of ***D'addario Chromes*** (I cannot speak for other brands of flatwounds) for 34" string thru. I've got a set on my MIA jazz bass (strung through body) and I ended up cutting ends off except on the G string which was the perfect length right out of the box. If they had gone on say an Ibanez style headstock instead of a Fender style, you'll have to cut the G then. But if you are stringing through body with a scale length greater than 34", you'll need extra long scale.