flats under $50 for my present

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

These are recent strings that I've used and liked.

D'Addario XL Prosteels (.045 .065 .080 .100)
    LaBella Stainless (.045 .065 .085 .105)
    LaBella Nickel Plated (.045 .065 .085 .105)

My sister-in-law drew my name for Secret Santa and the limit is $50. What set of flats can I ask for? I play an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro IV with SGD-ND3 neck and SGD-SW4 bridge).

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You can get pretty much all flats except Thomastic and Pyramid.

3. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

What would you recommend? I'll send her the link. I am not picky. I just want some flats to try out.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I remember first using flats on my Kramer Duke to mellow it out. Since then I have liked the brightness of round wounds. Also I think the Thunderbird already is a bit more mellow anyway considering I can tell none of the Thunderbird goes through the tweeter and the Duke is easily heard through it with round wounds. So I guess the brightest flat wounds is what I want. Also I like the feel of the gauges that I posted above...

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Considering that ^ , you may want to consider s/s flats,
    But do a search first for other's recommendations for flats on a Thunderbird, altho SGD p/u's will change it a bit.
    May be a good idea to see what those SGD's work with.

8. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

9. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Chromes would be good on a tbird imo.

10. Duckwater

Duckwater

I recommend trying some Fender flats, they're about $20 and the brightest that I've tried(out of GHS, Chromes, Labella, Sadowsky, Rotosound). Sadowsky flats have a bit more top end but are also more thumpy and traditional sounding for around $40. Chromes would be good too but Fenders are my favorite.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Fe...atwound-Bass-Strings--4-String-Set_p_850.html

I recommend the 40-100 set

11. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

Doesn't sound like a very secret santa.

12. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

You mentioned prosteels and those labella steels or whatever? I'm curious to know, I've never tried flats before, and I love the steel clank. Have you tried flats? I've heard that they aren't nearly as bright as even nickel strings. Would you like them? For that matter, would I like them? Ι... Οορς, φγεεκ κευβοαγδ ον. Sorry about that, changed my keyboard setting. As I was saying, I have always thought that it would be cool to get a nice thumpy tone, without losing my precious high end. You guys think flats would even be worth it?

Hmm. I noticed my post became less about the op and more about me. Sorry...

13. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I have used flats. I am not too particular about the tone, but I guess I would normally go for the brightest flats I can. It seems that Chromes would be the best bet for me, but if I don't try something different, I'll never know how that sounds for me. So I am going to try out the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flat Wound - 4 String Set. Not sure if I should go for the medium gauge. The standard gauges alread ride a little high on the E string in the saddle. It is a little thicker there on the strings I've had then goes to the proper gauge. There is a special bar that would pull the string back further to correct this I think. Do these flats have that same sort of winding down there? The neck is very strong, I think. I never have to retune my bass for weeks even going from the house to a 50 F garage. It is neck thru.

14. hotbass57

hotbass57

With the tension go with a lighter gauge than your rounds.

15. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

So same gauge will be a little more tight on both fretting and plucking? Some songs I move closer to the bring for a bit more tension. I would like that over the neck pickup. Would the same gauge achieve that feel?

16. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

The "Jamerson" La Bella 760M flats are the best flats IMHO. They can however turn your bass into a long bow due to high tension. They're not that bright, but really grunty.

If you prefer bright I'd say Rotosound Jazz 77 and the next ones would be Chromes.

The Ernie Ball flats aren't bad either.

Disclaimer: none tried on a Thunderbird bass. For me it's all P-bass territory.