1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Flats with tension similar to GHS Boomers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HawldieMPB, Oct 24, 2013.

1. HawldieMPB

HawldieMPB

Hey I'm looking to put flats on my CV Jazz bass and the current strings I have are just too wiggly (don't know what they are unfortunately as they came on the bass used). I have GHS boomers on my Yammy and I like the tension on those (I can't play wiggly strings with precision) and was wondering if there were flats with similar tension that would sound nice on that j bass. Thanks!
  2. HawldieMPB

HawldieMPB

Nobody can help me out? I guess I'm just looking for flats with decently high tension?
  3. jelwood

jelwood Supporting Member

I recently bought a Ric 4003 and the roundwounds it came with had noticeably low tension. I liked it but wanted to experiment. I hadn't touched flatwounds in years so I looked around here a little and saw that a lot of people were fans of DR flats on their 4003s. I ordered some and the first thing I noticed was that they were way higher tension than the RIC rounds. I had to give the rods an appreciable amount of cranks to get the neck straight again.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Stri...0@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^13625724041
  4. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Official Online Voice for GHS Strings & Rocktron
    What gauge of Boomers are you using?
  5. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Try GHS Precision Flats
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Any questions or suggestions about string tension needs to include gauges. Otherwise it may be an apples to oranges comparison.
  7. HawldieMPB

HawldieMPB

I can't remember unfortunately, they are probably close to ten years old. They don't feel especially heavy though maybe medium, medium light?