1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Flatwound first timer!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sidbass, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Sidbass

Sidbass

So I've played bass for over 20 years, always used roundwounds, started with GHS in the early 90's, then Ernie Ball's and finally settled into Rotosound's Swing 66's (Love these, but they just don't seem to last for me! (Go dead fast)) Played some flatwounds on uprights, but I've never owned one. Always looked at the pack of rotosound flatwounds when buying strings but at $70, it just wasn't worth trying. Went to another shop today, looking at a Jazz Blacktop (didn't buy) but found the "D'Addario Chomes" flatwounds for 35 bucks... Pulled the trigger, gave me an excuse to clean the neck on my J-bass anyways :) Just finished stringin' em up.

I gotta say I wasn't expecting them to be as ringy as they are (which is good! I do love a bright tone) They don't 'zing' like rounds, but I rarely play with a pick anyways. They play amazing! Flying around the fretboard (I thought I'd encounter some more friction) with relative ease..we'll see if grime hinders this.. Can't wait to try it on my rig! Will have to wait until Friday.
  2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

WOW! $35 for chromes? A bit spendy, that is, if you had gone to your local merchant. Otherwise, bass strings online (www.bassstringsonline.com) carries them for substantially less. Flatwounds seem to be an interesting debate topic on TB in terms of what's the best brand.

About 18 months ago, I decided to go the flats route with Chromes and was quite impressed. They have a round sub-winding under the flat ribbon top winding and are stainless, so I attribute that to their brighter-than-other-flats characteristic :confused:. Still presently with the same set, I clean them off every few months with denatured alcohol, very gingerly, and no dirt/tarnish on the rag. I still have to roll my TONE knob down to get some really deep thump.
  3. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

The chromes will mellow after a bit, then they sound real nice.
  4. donn

donn

Not really super-interesting, though. The difference largely boils down to nuances of how they sound, so the underlying question is what's the best sound - and if you think about that way, it's kind of an absurd debate. Beyond that, there's how high you like your action, whether your body chemistry blackens the one or two brands that use nickel winding, stuff like that.

The important thing, that of course we all agree on is, you should use flat wound strings.
  5. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

I was worried when I first put on chrome flats as they were brighter than my old rounds... After a week or so that was gone. I like the strings and still have them on.
  6. FrettFretless

FrettFretless

I love my flatwounds now, but I am constantly flopping back and forth, especially on fretless. The consensus for me seems to be rounds for frets, flats for 'less, but tomorrow that may all change. Glad you tried them out, definitely worth a taste
  7. Major Softie

Major Softie

I go more: tapes for fretless, flats for frets.
  8. fabubass

fabubass

Wait till you have those Chromes on for 5 years. They are awesome, I have them on an active Jazz. They sound better every time I play which was last night in Key Biscayne on the beach.....Brrrr, It was cold!
  9. gary m

gary m

Chromes are nice strings, but give GHS flats a try...takes what you're experiencing to yet another level, IMHO.