1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flatwound gauge question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ljorges, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Ljorges

Ljorges

So, I'd like to put flatwounds on my 60th p bass. I'm thinking about La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass Flat Wounds but I am a beginner bass player and am worried about which gauge I should pick. What gauge would you guys recommend for a beginner? This is what I found:

760FX Deep Talkin’ Flats Extra Light Gauge 039 056 077 096
    760FL Deep Talkin’ Flats Light Gauge 043, 060, 082, 104
    760FM Deep Talkin’ Flats Medium Gauge 049 069 089 109
    0760M Jamerson Flats Medium Gauge 52, 73, 95, 110

Also, are the La Bella's a solid choice?

Thanks,

Les

2. 4andnomore

4andnomore

I'd go light or extra light for now.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

4. Ljorges

Ljorges

Pros and cons of extra light?

Les

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

If you like heavy rounds, I would go with medium flats.

If you like medium rounds, I would go with light flats.

(And so on...)

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

Those strings are among the most stiff and hard to play, if you're a beginner and learning new techniques you don't want something like that to hinder you.

8. Ljorges

Ljorges

I'm pretty comfortable with the gauge of the rounds that are on there now - but not sure what comes standard on it.

Les

9. Ljorges

Ljorges

Which strings? The La Bella or the extra lights?

Les

10. Duckwater

Duckwater

The Deep Talkin flats are pretty stiff for their gauge and the Jamerson set even moreso. A lighter gauge will make them a little easier to play for most people, I like heavy strings myself but it would be very hard for me to use techniques like the double-thumb on the Jamerson set.

11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Have the 104's and the 109's here. I have them on jazz basses. Prefer the 104's. The 109's sound bigger naturally, but there's a little more "work" involved to playing them.

Definitely a solid choice, some of the finest flat wound strings available. Good note definition and very consistant tone across the board.

12. Spaldo

Spaldo

I recommend....

760FL Deep Talkin’ Flats Light Gauge 043, 060, 082, 104.

I don't know that lighter gauges are that beneficial to a beginner, only that you perhaps develop a lighter touch. I've never used light gauges and I find that it doesn't inhibit my dexterity, infact I groove harder with heavier strings.

YMMV, of course....

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

not sure which P you have, as the term '60th' is often misused ... but you cant go wrong with either the lights or XL's ... not a real major difference in them two, much bigger difference in the jump to the Med and the Jamersons ... with that said, you planning on top loading or STB, as there are other things to consider along with gauge? ... JMHO

14. Ljorges

Ljorges

I have the blond 60th anniversary pbass. Not just one made in that year.
    I'm not sure what the terms stb or top loading are or how they affect me as a beginning player. I'm fairly new to the bass world ( not the world though - I'm 51).

Les

Les

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Yes. Depending on the groove, the "bounce" off heavier strings can actually help keep it going better.

16. spufman

spufman

If you like the flexibility of the rounds, then I'd go with the extra lights, or the lights at most. In my experience, flats are relatively stiff. I like a flexy string, but that's me. The heavier gauges will put more pull on the neck, though I'm sure an Amer P can handle it with a small tightening or the truss. The heavier ones will be thuddier since their excursion will be less, so if that's what you're going for that may be better.

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Les, you are still a youngster :) ... both are methods of how the strings are attached at the bridge .. STB is string thru body, via the ferrules on the back of the bass, top load is through the back of the bridge ... Labella flats are generally not recommended for STB application, as the transition angle can be too sharp for the winding ... top load is recommended for Labella flats, unless you get the newer design winding specifically for STB ... you can do both on your bass, STB and topload ...

18. Ljorges

Ljorges

As a beginner I don't want to throw any unnecessary obstacles in my path of fun and learning. So, you more experienced players don't see any issues with these (I'm gonna assume they will top load these strings):

760FL Deep Talkin’ Flats Light Gauge 043, 060, 082, 104

and the fact that I'm a beginner?

Les

19. P Town

P Town Guest

tjh. You said: "with that said, you planning on top loading or STB, as there are other things to consider along with gauge? ... JMHO"

When selecting strings, I could see the length of the winding may be a factor depending on whether you are stringing through the bass, or top loading.

Are there any other factors to consider depending on string-through, vs top-load installation?

20. Spaldo

Spaldo

Dude, you're thinking too much. The only obstacle here is your brain....get some strings, grab your damn axe and play! And be prepared to bleed and blister a little. :D

And for god's sake, enjoy yourself!

P.S. this isn't meant to sound coarse, in fact i typed this with a smile on my face. My philosophy on practice is 'how often aren't you practicing?' Less talk, more jammin'!

21. Ljorges

Ljorges

You are probably right! :)

Les