Flatwound recommendation on 5 string fender P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rybass309, Feb 27, 2014.

1. rybass309

rybass309 Supporting Member

I just picked up a 5 string fender P and I want flats on it. I purchased the La Bella 760s Through Body Length and the B and E strings snapped and unraveled at the tuner pegs. I think they were too long because I didn't have this problem with my 4 string jazz strung through the bridge with the same strings. Anyone out there have a suggestion? I just dumped $60 on this set and I don't want to go blind into another set and have the same problem. I like the 760s because they are not too stiff.
  2. tgriley62

tgriley62

Use www.bassstringsonline.com. Excellent selection and amazingly fast service (ordered a set on Wed & they were delivered on Fri). Just put Fender flats on my Peavey Foundation for $24 with free shipping and no tax & it sounds sweet. Plus if you are a Talkbass member you receive discounts & you earn rewards on each purchase
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

The 760s should work fine as long as you use the correct length.

Does your P string through the body, or is that just the length you purchased? LaBellas are known to break at the bridge on string-through basses but I, personally, have not experienced breakage at the tuners unless the string was just too long.
  4. rybass309

rybass309 Supporting Member

It is a string through bass but I am thinking I should have bought the standard length 760s. I would be up for other suggestions though as long as they are not too stiff.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gary m

gary m

Also consider GHS Precision Flats. A lot of P-players love these strings. I use the 3050 set in gauges .45-.105 on mine. For a fiver, I believe the low B is gauged either .126 or .128.
  7. Lo-E

Lo-E

+1 on GHS P Flats, but I'd go a gauge lighter. You could get the lightest 4-string set from Jason at Bassstringsonline.com and then add a single B to get a lighter set.

Also, TI flats have very low tension, but they tend to be in a class by themselves in terms of feel and tone; very flexible, very strong mids. A lot of people love them, a lot hate them.

I'm also a big fan of Ernie Ball flats in their lighter gauges.
  8. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

If they were new, perhaps contact LaBella and see what they say/do.

Those strings are apparently not available in 5 string sets....

As far a flats on one of my 5's, I have LaBellas, which are thumpy and sound great on a passive P. On 2 others I have Sadowsky light gauge. Love, love, love these strings. They have far lower tension than LaBellas, but similar thump to the LaBellas, but plenty of nice, glassy highs to be had as well. Both LaBellas and Sadowskys have Tapered B's.

On my fretless 5 I have Chromes. IMHO it's the best B string of the bunch (untapered), but they are much higher tension.
  9. halz426

halz426

I absolutely love my TI jazz flats.
  10. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

I second the TI Flats. I have them on squier p5 and it slays!