Flatwound strings in modern music

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by raul, Apr 14, 2014.

1. raul

raul

We all know that many people use flats. They were the strings of the 60 ' s and most of the 70's. But...who's using them these days as far as high profile players? What about in the rock world, with all of it's genres and sub genres? Or in pop besides Pino...metal besides Steve Harris...funk...rock...who's playing flats?
  2. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

The bass player for AC/DC uses them in studio, but not live, if I recall.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Tim LeFebvre uses them.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

What does Jamareo Artis use? Treasure sounds like a P with flats to me.
  5. 20db pad

20db pad

Yeah, he does, DR Legends I think.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pino uses them a lot when he's not playing with the Who. Even uses them with Nine Inch Nails. Justin Meldal-Johnsen uses them for many of his tracks. Most people still use rounds, though.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Ya ... they are a new band ...
  8. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Fitz and the Tantrums first album sounded like a P with flats to me for most of it.

As did Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears.

Also Snarky Puppy. And Vulfpeck.

All new bands with decidedly retro vibes though.
    M0ses likes this.
  9. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I've used them in my band before, sounds great! But gone back to rounds as I missed the sound of rounds in a band
  10. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

I have to admit I have a hard time in the live and budget studio-type arena that I am usually recording in, to give flats the attack and the frontal presence in the mix I'd like them to have. Probably a lot I need to learn about proper EQ-ing. I can only think of the Incubus guy, Ben Kenney. I'd be curious for some more real-world examples too.
  11. acleex38

acleex38

Mike Gordon and Reed Mathis both use flats (usually but not exclusively with a pick).
  12. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Sean Hurley on Born and Raised by John Mayer.
  13. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know what strings Davey Faragher uses when playing with Elvis Costello? His sound is so fat compared to Bruce Thomas's roundwound sound that I'm guessing flats.
  14. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Juan Alderete uses flats a lot, and in various genres.
    M0ses likes this.
  15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

In my jam band, which is essentially a RHCP tribute band that excludes songs with slap bass (cuz I suck at it), I play my jazz bass with labella flats. We sound pretty awesome.
  16. Wito

Wito

Actually, most of RHCP's Stadium Arcadium was recorded in a jazz strung with flats (or so I think). Is it modern enough? ;)
  17. M0ses

M0ses

So you guys know, what, four songs?
    :smug:
  18. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not a high profile player...but here's what I experience:

IMHO it doesn't really matter what string you use in 'modern music'. Flats, rounds, or else. Whichever you need & want. Or in my case is also what the Producer who hires me needs/wants.
    IME;
    Well, we know that computerized, programmed synth/sampled bass is very common in modern music, no matter what the genre.
    In this context, flatwounds even have the advantages, because it has smooth character that almost can imitate that synth bass sine wave (sound) and frequencies.
    (Of course you also can make the flat wound to 'growl' (almost) like a round wound or other type of strings with proper setup. (Although if that's the case, better use the real round LOL).
    To achieve that 'synth' kind of sound more, sometime - and at first I was forced to do it then - I even play with my thumb (all downstroke) near the neck...
    It eventually becomes my main habit and one of weapons in my arsenal :D
    Now, because flats can be sound like synth bass, it's a 'plus' because being played by a real human, the producer (who likes it) get the best of both world. The sound and the performance. Everyone's happy :)
  19. gary m

gary m

On Costello's "When I Was Cruel" album, Farragher is listed as using a Fender P. Pics I've seen of him in performance appear to show his P strung with flats.