1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flatwound vs. Roundwound poll

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lowendblues, Feb 8, 2014.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

I've been a supporting member here for quite a while now, and I don't think I've seen a poll on who uses flatwound, who uses roundwound strings. Of course there are variances, groundwound, halfwound, ect... Maybe I've missed it, but perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can put together a poll to see what we all use? I think it would be interesting.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Flatwounds are a myth ... they do not exist ...

tangentmusic likes this.
  3. maturanesa

maturanesa

there is a conception here like... you are so cool, so groovy, so "bassist" if you play flats, believing flatwounds have a kind of magic mojo...

I find them useless for almost anything...

Dug2 and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

:D sig worthy, duuuuude.

7. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Ahh, I figured there had to be a poll somewhere. Thanks, sorry for the redundant post.

8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

TB'rs who play roundwounds exclusively disparage flatwound users with various insults, taunts, etc. (eg, they just want to be cool, etc).

TB'rs who play flatwounds exclusively disparage roundwound users with various insults, taunt, etc. (eg, annoying slappity pop stuff and jaco wannabe comments).

Maybe a little oversimplified, but sort of the cliff notes version.

Dug2 likes this.
  9. manfish

manfish

Guess Im bi! I swing both ways on my basses and in the studio... It depends on the song, band, genre... Some basses suit flats, especially vintage ones and some sounds are only possible with rounds. Some players have one sound they love and feel is their voice. I love many different sounds but a few are signature. I usually have some overdrive from the amp either way. Its like pick vs fingers or tube vs ss amps. I use
    both.

10. Grabow

Grabow

tried flat wounds when I was 19, thunk, thunk. took them off 2 days later, never went back

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aaand here we go.

Don't forget your 'I can roll off the tone to get the same sound' comments.

12. mulambo

mulambo

13. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

When I switched to flats:

Women became more attracted to me.
    My dog started fetching the paper.
    My neighbors fell in love with me.
    My skills improved.
    Bands did not require an audition anymore, I was good enough already.
    I got a raise at work.
    Suddenly everybody wanted to be like me.
    My bass gained 100 healing power points.
    My mother started taliking to me again.
    I started saving money.

14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

The well groomed bassist has a fretted with rounds, fretted with flats, fret less with rounds and fret less with flats. Someday I will get that apoxy fretless for that Jaco sound...

maestrovert and fretlessguy like this.
  15. soulman969

soulman969

It's not that simple. There are all kinds of variations of both; brighter flats, darker, flats, zingier rounds, darker rounds, half wounds, quarter wounds, ground wounds, tape wounds, pressure wounds, and tightly wounds...........oh wait a minute that last one is just me getting wound up. :p

The whole premise of a poll is ridiculous and leads to all kinds of sophomoric comments and insults from both sides. Who gives a rip besides you what you play? Do the people at your gigs come and ask what type of string you play? They don't at mine and never did.

Each one fits different playing styles, different types of music, studio recording, live performances and even different basses and amp rigs. Playing one or the other because it's "cool" or "not cool" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and one side putting down the other is even dumber. A pro bassist would play both at need.

Some guys could play hunks of steel cable and sound good and others could have strings made pure gold with unicorn hair silks and they'd still sound like crap. It's one link in the chain and not even the most important one. That link is the guy playing the strings not the strings themselves.

Sorry to be so negative early on a Sunday morning but someone tell me just why one more thread on string preference to add to the other 1001 is all that important?

maestrovert and ReidK like this.
  16. Matt_T

Matt_T

And your Armor Class will improve by -2.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sound wise, It really doesn't make much difference in a live situation. I EQ my rig so my bass sits nice in the mix and I can hear myself. Out in the audience it all sounds pretty similar. Most of the round wound zing fades away unless you are soloing. After 35 years of playing I have found my perfect combination which is Steve Harris Flats on a Ric 4003. I can play faster than on any other bass/string combo ever. If you hear yourself well on stage and you dig your tone than you will perform better. Sure you will lose some growl on a Ric with Flats but it's well worth it for the Beautiful tone. But....That's just one mans opinion....

18. Root 5

Root 5

I prefer flats because they offer the most authentic 'bass' tone. IMO.

19. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I prefer flats cuz I prefer the feel and tone, but any functional bass with any strings (round, flat, taped, or ground) can sound great, not just good, but great, if the bass player is great.

It's all in the fingers.

20. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

21. GK Growl

GK Growl

Isn't this more of an off topic thing? :bag:

Jokes aside, rounds and rounds only for me. I've got to have the chime and the positive grip.