1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

flatwounds for short scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Feb 6, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I occasionally play a Danelectro Long Horn bass at our friday night prayer meetings. The strings on it are likely well over 10 years old, and are rusty in several places. I have the chance to purchase a set of GHS stainless steel precision flatwounds 45-95 from craigslist for $10. Does anyone have experience with these strings? How do they sound on a short scale? It currently has roundwounds on it, and they sound pretty good, but I know it's time for new ones. Open to any other suggestions for strings...
  2. Marton

Marton

Are they made for a short scale ? If they're aren't, just buy a proper set.
  3. unclebass

unclebass

yes, they're short scale strings new in the box.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Be careful most flat wound SS bass strings will not go thru the E tuner's hole. I had to use a drill to open the post up to allow the E string from my SS Chromes to work...just saying.
  5. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

GHS P flats are a very classic sounding flat. I run them on my Jag and enjoy them. You can get them at BSO for about $25 shipped to you.
  6. Root 5

Root 5

He should be okay with a .095" E
  7. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I used short scale GHS Precision flats on my Longhorn when I owned it. Wonderful! Have fun. Yes, it may have to have the hole slightly enlarged (I didn't on mine).