1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

flatwounds for short scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I occasionally play a Danelectro Long Horn bass at our friday night prayer meetings. The strings on it are likely well over 10 years old, and are rusty in several places. I have the chance to purchase a set of GHS stainless steel precision flatwounds 45-95 from craigslist for $10. Does anyone have experience with these strings? How do they sound on a short scale? It currently has roundwounds on it, and they sound pretty good, but I know it's time for new ones. Open to any other suggestions for strings...

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Are they made for a short scale ? If they're aren't, just buy a proper set.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. yes, they're short scale strings new in the box.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Be careful most flat wound SS bass strings will not go thru the E tuner's hole. I had to use a drill to open the post up to allow the E string from my SS Chromes to work...just saying.

6. GHS P flats are a very classic sounding flat. I run them on my Jag and enjoy them. You can get them at BSO for about $25 shipped to you.

7. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Earth
    He should be okay with a .095" E

8. I used short scale GHS Precision flats on my Longhorn when I owned it. Wonderful! Have fun. Yes, it may have to have the hole slightly enlarged (I didn't on mine).