1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Flatwounds on a 6

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by Rxebaedagd, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Rxebaedagd

Rxebaedagd

Can you recommend a set of flatwounds for the 6 string? Choices are few it seems. Many thanks!

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sorry, but I can't....I've never used flatwounds....sad isn't it....FWIW I like flats....could be a cool, cool sound...

I wish I were more help....

3. Mayers

Mayers Guest

I tried Labella's tapewound, Labella's flat and D'addario's Chrome.

I don't have any of them anymore, I'm more of a roundwound guy.

Tapewound were nice under the fingers and look killer but you may need to fill you nut, Labella's flat were very dark and dull sounding to me so I didn't keep them for very long and Chrome. They have a a nice attack when frech but they became dark after a month or so.

4. sentient_1

sentient_1

I bought "RotoSound Electric Jazz Bass Monel Flatwound Long Scale 6 String, .030 - .130" a couple weeks ago at juststrings.com for my Peavey Cirrus 6 string. I was nervous because it's near impossible to find extra long scale flatwound strings for a 6 string bass, and I was worried that these "long scale" ones wouldn't reach far enough for the cirrus' 35-inch scale. It was more nerve-wracking when the strings arrived and right on the individual string sleeves it said 32-34 scale. Much to my delight, however, they were plenty long enough, so the silks didn't stray down past the nut.
    As for sound, this is the first set of flatwounds I've ever purchased and fell in love with the tone right away!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

TI makes the 346 Jazz Flat set if you don't mind the somewhat low tension (the B is 0.136, which is nice). Expensive, but they'll last you 5-10 years.

You can also buy the D'Addario Chrome 5-string set and add the high C.

7. chanson

chanson

D'Addario makes a 6 string Half Round set that John Patitucci currently plays. Might be worth checking out.

8. jon5252

jon5252

This is a question to fretless mainly- I am struggling with strings for my Stingray fretless- I have the Labella nylon now, really liked them when I first put them on, and am losing my enthusiasm for them quickly. I have had the D'Addario Chromes- same story. How would you describe the sound of the TI's?

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

My standard fretless strings are D'addario half rounds (or GHS brite flats) ground wounds. It's as bright as you can go without chewing the neck. If you want still brighter you can go to GHS pressure wounds, but they chew a little bit. I use nylon wrapped on my Carvin semi-hollow AC50 but I could see how they wouldn't work on a standard bass. I do have GHS flatwounds (real flatwounds, not the ground wounds) on one of my SX 6 ers. They sound pretty good to me, but it is a Jazz bass clone. On a 'Ray I'd think you'd want to go as bright as you could.

Getting 6 string sets often takes getting C strings on special order.

10. brad houser

brad houser

try DR flats on that fretless. they're a little flexier and brighter than most flats.

11. steubig

steubig Supporting Member

thomastiks are very good. will last many a year.

i also have some carvins (which i think are made by ghs), different flavor, but also good and very much cheaper than the thomastiks. (i've deadened these with wax and so forth).

both are good.

12. Turxile

Turxile

I really like the C string on Chromes, the best C I tried so far, very even tone with the rest of the set. That's a big consideration for me.