1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flea amp EQ

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MazzeoLucho, Dec 15, 2012.

1. MazzeoLucho

MazzeoLucho

Hi, I'm playing a RHCP song tomorrow and I would like to know which EQ should I have to get a similar bass sound to Flea.
    I know that the most part of his sound is in his fingers, but the EQ may help.
    Thanks !

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Before even touching EQ I'd suggest putting a fresh set of strings on an active bass with some aggressive sounding pups to get his tone.

3. MazzeoLucho

MazzeoLucho

Thanks, but I dont have enough time.

4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    How about time enough to let us know what amp & cab(s) you use, what bass you use, and your intended playing style. Those are all parts of the whole sound and without knowing more we can't say "cut lows, boost treble" or anything.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Generally speaking for slap, you cut high mids and change your strings. But, everyone's hands are different.

7. MazzeoLucho

MazzeoLucho

I will play on a 60w combo amp, with a Precision Yamaha Bass, the song is Look Around.

8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :meh:
    New strings, boost low mids, cut upper mids and lows a tad.

9. JetBlackJazz

JetBlackJazz

No, it's all in the eq. You gotta boost 600hz 30Db and cut low end completely past 500hz. Boost everything 1000hz to 320000hz about 60Db. You got it! You'll probably get a gig with RHCP if you're 1337 enuf.

10. Oreomeister365

Oreomeister365

Pretty sure he goes direct anyways, so what you hear of him really has nothing to do with his amp, they're just there so he can hear himself.