1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flea and his 61 J-Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Jan 22, 2014.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I think I may be one of the few who liked Flea's tone best when he played his 1961 Fender Jazz....anyone else?

Flea on his '61 Fender Jazz

2. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Did he use the 61 Jazz bass on "Freaky Styley"?

I just got this CD for the first time....very funky...I guess RHCP most funky album.

3. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

No..probably used his Stingray on that one, he didn't get the '61 Jazz until much later.

4. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

If that's the one he recorded Stadium Arcadium (with flats if I remember right) then I like that one the best too, not a big fan of the Modulus

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hands5

hands5

Disclosures:
    none
    Nope. The 1st one

7. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Flea definitely began using that on Stadium Arcadium. I remember seeing an interview with his bass technician that went something like this. He's holding the bass, talking about how rare and collectable it was, all original with custom color and how psyched he was over it... and Flea loved it so much he put a D. Boon sticker on it... and the technician just shook his head. Something like that.

Overall, I love the way Flea's playing evolved. Playing the Jazz more simple and smoother and tastefully. He's a muscle car that doesnt need to rev in a parking lot for attention, he saves it for the open road. I only wish the band's direction didnt lead them to this watered down place songwritting-wise. I love the spirit and the rythymns of that band before Rick Rubin totally turn them into a band trying to write another anthem and Anthony into a crooner every song. It was never about the hits to me. I still enjoy them but not into the new sound.

8. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Found a good shot of the Jazz.

Attached Files:

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

^^^

Is that a Large Model Bass?

:eek:

10. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

I dont know, he's not a very big person. Biggest heart in the world though. Are you saying they made different sizes of Jazz basses. Never heard that before.

Im sorry for being negative earlier about their newer stuff BTW. I enjoy the older stuff but give them credit for not standing still and trying to re-do Blood Sugar. Very inspirational band for me.

11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

If you folks don't mind, can someone give us a rundown of what bass Flea used on each album?

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Not at all... But, Flea looks like a... well, a tiny flea.
    [​IMG]
    :eek:

13. ERIC31

ERIC31

Here's my Flea question. At one time he was a walking advertisement for MusicMan basses. Why didn't they offer him an endorsement deal? He sold a lot of Stingrays for them......

14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

You answered your own question. Why "pay" Flea if they are already selling a lot of a given product?

Like Hofner paying Paul McCartney? Why? Neither one needs to.

15. southpaw723

southpaw723

I heard that flea got the bass in the late 90s as a gift. The story goes that someone asked flea what his favorite bass of all time was and he said a '61 jazz. Then the guy who asked him got flea one. He has it in the californication music video, but didn't use it until stadium Arcadium. He used it at the beginning of that tour in 2006 but went back to the modulus to cut through in the mix more.

16. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

I remember reading that on the internets. He said his dream bass was a shell pink Fender Jazz. I think some executive bought one for him as a gift.

I generally don't think of jazz basses in rock, but I agree that his tone on SA is probably his best. Well, maybe except for the Wal on BSSM. For the record, I actually never liked his Stingray tone- too sharp for my taste. But then again, who the hell am I?;)

17. southpaw723

southpaw723

I'm with you on that (no pun intended). I love his tone on Stadium Arcadium. It sounds like he might have used the jazz on a few songs on their last album too. I like the look if his bass, I have a mim jazz white with a tort pickguard, it looks classy!

18. LagBox

LagBox

If I remember correctly-

RHCP - MM Stingray
    Freaky Styley - MM Stingray, Fender P
    Uplift Mofo Party Plan - Spector NS2
    Mother's Milk - Spector NS2
    BSSM - Wal MKII
    One Hot Minute - Alembic Epic
    Californication - Modulus Fleabass
    By The Way - Modulus Fleabass
    Stadium Arcadium - '61 Jazz
    I'm With You - '61 Jazz

If anyone has corrections, throw 'em over. I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate.

19. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

I've never had any issues with Flea's tone. Like grandma's spaghetti & meatball, just sit down and enjoy it. Mangia bene, bravo. All kinds of love involved.

20. miles'tone

miles'tone

It was a black Spector NS-2

21. 10cc

10cc

This album was produced by George Clinton. They lost me after Mothers Milk.