Flea bass vs. VM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by camlemieux, Jul 5, 2012.

1. camlemieux

camlemieux

I am somewhat of a beginner bass player, started about 5 years ago learned 7 Nations Army and quit, and just started again over a year ago. After playing my brothers old Barracuda J-Style bass which is falling apart (missing volume knob, broken nut, missing pick guard screws, missing jack screw, and a faulty jack) I'm looking to buy my first bass.
    After saving up some money I have enough to buy a 300 dollar bass, and I'm torn between a VM Jazz bass and a stree Fleabass.

Any owners have anything to say about either basses? Both pros and cons?
    Thanks.
  2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I'm guessing everybody is going to tell you to avoid the Fleabasses. That being said, the VM Jazz is a very solid bass guitar. Get that one.
  3. francotedescoga

francotedescoga

I'd go with the Jazz, I can't say much about the Flea Bass, I've only played one once, but the VM Squiers are very solid and great sounding entry-level basses.
  4. camlemieux

camlemieux

What's the problem with a Fleabass? I've played a few, both street and touring, and they seem like solid basses to me.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Let's put it this way - the VM Jazz is one of the most highly touted instruments on this site and Fleabass is now out of business because nobody was buying them.
  7. francotedescoga

francotedescoga

IMO it also didn't help that the brand owner didn't play the basses.. :)
  8. camlemieux

camlemieux

Is it true that a VM Jazz is about par with a Fender MIM Jazz?
    I've never played a MIM and I was thinking of just saving up to get one of those, or a Sterling.
  9. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

I hate it when everybody bashes Fleabass. My Streetbass is exceptionally well made, and with an EMG 35DC, it kills!
  10. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I'd avoid buying either online if you can help it. I actually dig both (though I'd pick the Squier). If you can pick one up and play it for yourself to make sure it isn't a piece of junk, do that.
  11. camlemieux

camlemieux

I was actually planning on ordering online, either a mint condition used from Musicians Friend, since the new doesn't ship to Canada. Or buying one from Long and McQuade.
    I was also told that I could just call in to Long and McQuade and have them order one in for me.
  12. Tupac

Tupac

Fleabasses are fantastic if that's the sound you're after, but only so. You really won't find another bass that sounds like it until you can buy a Modulus. If you're looking for a more versatile bass that isn't a one trick pony, Jazz.
  13. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

That's a good review IMO
  14. Wallace320

Wallace320

You said exactly what I had in mind.
    The Fleabass (especially the Touring series) are simple, yet effective, alder body-maple neck basses. Their main characteristic is just one soapbar pickup on its way to conquer our World.
    EMG35 is a creative replacement/upgradin'...
    I'd put a second pickup in a particular position, but then this one pick-up can work with Tesla sopbars, if it's ok for all of you.
    I do own a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz "natural" (so the one with maple body): I ended up swapping an original Fender Reggie Hamilton neck in; 2 original US ultra low/mid Bartolini; a Hipshot BT1 bass extender; original "Fender Splinter" jack input.
    I do own a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz where I took thumbrest off put US Bartolini ultra low/mid neck pickup, Seymour Duncan HotStack bridge pickup (Hipshot BT1 is already on it's way). Now they sound "amazing" and they're the Jazz bass sensation I cannot live without (I got 5 more Jazz, and a Jaguar - Fender basses this time - so I feel like I can talk about'em:hyper:)

Cheers,
    Wallace
  15. flapbass

flapbass

where can a person buy a fleabass in the USA? I've looked online and really would like the green one.
  16. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Get the Squier.
  17. Deef

Deef

I have a Fleabass, bought it for some fun and haven't modified it yet. I have said before, I was very impressed with he finish on it. There is a bit of a hiss when the treble is turned up, but that's the only complaint I have. Funky colour ( I do prefer the streetbass colours, but own the Model 32 Water ).

Good fun to play, and the neck is fast :)
  18. Wallace320

Wallace320

Not like a very quoted brand, partly made in America, partly in Indonesia

Don't want to go OT BTW

Cheers,
    Wallace
  19. Bassplyr94

Bassplyr94

I have both a jazz and a flea and ill say that I use my flea the most, there isnt really anything wrong with them at all. There solid basses, and have pretty good tone.
  20. PDQbass

PDQbass