Flea has a book coming out

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by knumbskull, Apr 3, 2014.

1. knumbskull

knumbskull

Second least insane Chili Pepper to tell all in forthcoming memoir:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flea-to-chronicle-drugs-rebellion-and-bohemian-life-in-new-memoir-20140402

"I love literature deeply... I view books as sacred things" says the man last seen headbanging onstage wearing just a sock.

;)

in all seriousness, I'm not a big fan but I'd be interested to read what he has to say, having read Scar Tissue (Anthony Keidis's book)... Flea always seemed pretty articulate. TBers, what are your throughts?

(I did a search, not sure if there's already a thread. Mods pls move if this would be better placed in "Bassists". thx)

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Must have been nice for Flea to grow up having an accomplished upright jazz bassist for a dad! My old drummer did a few jazz gigs with Fleas dad back in the day.

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

cool! did the drummer say what Flea's dad was like?

4. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Why do most people on here seem to not like Flea?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I always thought the opposite I think he's well received here I know I'm a fan.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

I thought he was quite popular on here, hence the thread :)

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Drummer said flea Sr. Was a badass bassist. Drummer hated people, so it never dawned on me to ask what the dude was like...

9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Ah, fair enough. It kind of figures that his dad was a killer bassist too!

10. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Flea takes a lot of crapola on TB at times, but he's sincere, dedicated and plays with heart.

He's C:cool::cool:L in my book, looking forward to reading his.

11. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

I thought his dad was an alcoholic?

12. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

A lot of sour grapes and jealousy - but just because he's buff and famous, doesn't mean he can't also be a fine musician.

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'll be reading it...

14. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

I love his tone... I have pined for a Stingray 5 for years and years. Some of his lines are freaking incredible, very haunting at times, and he does great runs. I don't like a lot of their music, but the songs I do like are mostly just because of the bass. Californication is one of my favorites by them.

15. tmdazed

tmdazed

Same here, i am a big fan of flea

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So are many, many other great musicians.

17. Tupac

Tupac

I recall reading that Flea's dad was an alcoholic that he feared and would get into shootouts with the police. What's up with that?

18. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

What's up with Fleas dad having a great jazz discography? Why always the focus on the negative?
    I kinda doubt he got in shootouts with the police. People like that end up dead or in jail for life.

19. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

I'll read it. Say what you will, but Flea did more to put bass playing and bass players in the spotlight then just about anybody.

That said, I have found that reading about musicians and bands that I like usually leads to disappointment…except for "The Dirt". Not really a big Crue fan, but that book is a great read.

20. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Im jealous of Flea, without a doubt. I would love to have similar life experiences. I don't understand why people hate on whatever bassist like Pete Wentz or Adam Clayton or Flea or whoever. We're all in this big boat of bass, why do people try to sink it? I would love to read a RHCP memoir by Flea, as I have understood him to be fairly intellectual.

21. superjesus

superjesus

Hopefully it will be better than Scar Tissue. I didn't make it past the first 70 pages because I found it quite boring and disengaging.