1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flea on newer RHCP song Pink As Floyd

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Jan 24, 2013.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I know I know "Not another Flea thread!" but this isn't the normal Flea playing. Around the 2:00 mark I really dig his playing in the chorus. Definitely too flashy for most applications, the inner bass player in me went YES!

Still trying to figure it out, but the chords are Ab, Bb and C.
    http://youtu.be/nC_EWpxA5aE

2. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

I say that was exactly "normal Flea playing". Tasteful finger style groove that supports and enriches both the rhythm and the melody. That sort of stuff (quite similar to Dosed and Soul to Squeeze) is exactly why I love and learn from Flea's playing.

3. Emilym80

Emilym80

I think that's pretty typical of Flea, actually, complete with (slightly subtler than usual) honky tone and all...
    :bag:
    Nice song. And nice playing.

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Typical newish RHCP stuff. I actually haven't really liked anything since Mother's Milk.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Troph

Troph

If only they could fix the vocals, I would like RHCP much better. Their songs can be very melodic, but the vocals rarely are (and seem to have a different tuning)...

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

They would have to hire a real singer to do that.

8. FrednBass

FrednBass

2:19 run is great, i loved it.

And i'm not a RHCP fan by any means.

9. Tupac

Tupac

I was about to mention that.

I don't really like the sort of "country pop" vibe that Josh brought to the table with IWY and the b sides. Amazing player, and really rocks out on the oldies, but terrible composer. All the IWY songs sound the same.

10. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Josh is awful in the Chili's... He has no presence at all, it's pathetic.

11. RSmith

RSmith

I think Fleas playing is his best ever. However the songs are unlistenable to me because of Anthony's monotone sounding, lack of hook chorus's. I've always liked Fleas playing but he's at the top of his personal game on the last album, if you can listen..

12. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

If their singer had a range further reaching than one octave and changed key once in awhile I may pay more attention to Flea, but the RHCPs haven't crushed it for 20+ years. Now they're just recutting Under the Bridge 10x per album so they can get that next Playboy Mansion Party invite. No thanks...