Fleetwood Mac to Launch 2013 World Tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Fleetwood Mac to Launch 2013 World Tour

After months of reunion rumors, Fleetwood Mac announced Tuesday that they'll return to the road next spring for an extensive tour that will take them all over the globe. The trek will kick off in Columbus, Ohio on April 4th; tickets go on sale December 14th.

"It's the perfect time to go back out," Stevie Nicks tells Rolling Stone. "2013 is going to be the year of Fleetwood Mac."

As was the case with their 2010 tour, the band is hitting the road without a new album to support. The set list will be built around Fleetwood Mac's large catalog of hits. "We always have to play 'Dreams,' 'Rhiannon,' 'Don't Stop,' 'Tusk,' 'Big Love,' 'Landslide' and all our most famous songs," says Lindsey Buckingham. "When you've gone through all your must-do's, that's 75% of your potential setlist. I think with the other 25%, there are areas of our catalog that are more under-explored. Maybe we'll play more songs from Tusk. I'd also like to see an extended middle portion of the show that's just me and Stevie. This is just me talking from the top of my head. For now, I have no particular vision of what this tour is going to be."

The band begins rehearsals on February 15th, and at that point they'll hash out exactly what songs they're going to play. "We actually have two new Fleetwood Mac songs that I cut with Lindsey two weeks ago we might play," says Nicks. "I had a really good time working with him for four days at his house. I got to hang out with his family and his kids, his grown up kids, and really connect with him again. We’re pretty proud of what we have done, and we’re looking at it through the eyes of wisdom now, instead of through the eyes of jealousy and resentment and anger."

Only American dates are announced, but the group is planning on touring the whole world. "If everything goes will we'll be in Europe doing festivals this summer," says Nicks. "Then we'll actually tour Europe, which is different than just doing festivals. Then we might do fifteen or so shows in Australia."

Here are Fleetwood Mac's 2013 tour dates announced so far:

4/4 Columbus, OH – Nationwide Arena
    4/6 Philadelphia, PA – Wells Fargo Center
    4/8 New York, New York – Madison Square Garden
    4/9 Washington, DC – Verizon Center
    4/11 Louisville, KY – KFC Yum! Center
    4/13 Chicago, IL – United Center
    4/16 Toronto, ON – The Air Canada Centre
    4/18 Boston, MA – TD Garden
    4/20 Uncasville, CT – Mohegan Sun Arena
    4/23 Ottawa, ON – Scotiabank Place
    4/24 Newark, NJ – Prudential Center
    4/26 Pittsburgh, PA – CONSOL Energy Center
    4/28 St. Paul, MN – Xcel Center
    4/30 Kansas City, MO – Sprint Center
    5/1 Tulsa, OK – BOK Center
    5/3 Little Rock, AK – Verizon Arena
    5/12 Winnipeg, MB – MTS Centre
    5/14 Saskatoon, SK – Credit Union Centre
    5/15 Edmonton, AB – Rexall Place
    5/17 Calgary, AB – Scotiabank Saddledome
    5/19 Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena
    5/20 Tacoma, WA – Tacoma Dome
    5/22 San Jose, CA – HP Pavilion st San Jose
    5/25 Los Angeles, CA – Hollywood Bowl
    5/26 Las Vegas, NV – MGM Grand Arena
    5/28 Anaheim, CA – Honda Center
    5/30 Phoenix, AZ – US Airways Center
    6/1 Denver, CO – Pepsi Center
    6/4 Dallas, TX – American Airlines Center
    6/5 Houston, TX – Toyota Center
    6/7 Tampa, FL – Tampa Bay Times Forum
    6/8 Fort Lauderdale, FL – BB&T Center
    6/10 Atlanta, GA – Philips Arena
    6/12 Detroit, MI – Joe Louis Arena
  2. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Good news! But since they are without Christine McVie, I won't be there.
  3. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    I just saw Lindsey Buckingham solo last week, and he's in shape! Very strong performance. I went thinking I'd probably never get another chance to see him, convinced that Fleetwood Mac would not be reuniting again.
  4. pflash4001

pflash4001

I know what I want for my birthday!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great I'm looking at these two

4/4 Columbus, OH – Nationwide Arena
    6/12 Detroit, MI – Joe Louis Arena
  7. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

The Dance (their 1997 Live album) is one of the best live albums I've ever heard. Really great stuff, lovely mix, and everyone is in strong form.
  8. ggunn

ggunn

Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham killed that band for me. I much preferred their sound during the years with Peter Green, Bob Welsh, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Weston, Danny Kirwin, and Christine McVie the female lead. Too bad millions of people disagreed with me... :^)
  9. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

+5,000,000
  10. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I thought most of their line-ups were good, but the only one I saw live was the "Rumours" line-up. A great live band, and one the great Rock & Rock rhythm sections. It's a shame Christine McVie won't be with them, but I'll go and see them if they come to Australia.

Lindsey Buckingham is one the most under-rated guitarist in the world.
  11. electracoyote

electracoyote

You do realize you are talking about two completely different bands spanning two completely different generations and two completely different demographic fan bases, right?

It's not even a valid comparison.

The Fleetwood Mac of the 70s was just a continuation of the Buckingham Nicks album. Want to blame someone for the demise of the old Fleetwood Mac? Look no further than Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.
  12. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

At least two different bands. From Peter Green to the mid 70s incarnation, I would say we're looking at 3-4 bands.

That said, the years with the Green God are the best, IMO
  13. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Peter Green was brilliant, but they played a totally different style of music than with Nicks/Buckingham. You can't really compare the two. I thought they had a few really top line-ups over the years.

They've actually had about 15 line-ups, maybe more.
  14. kreider204

kreider204

My FM CD collection is almost complete - I'm only missing the two albums between TANGO IN THE NIGHT and SAY YOU WILL, the two without LB. It's really interesting to listen to them in chronological order and hear the evolution of the band, sometimes in small steps, sometimes in very large ones. Some are better than others, but they're all worth listening to.
  15. Richland123

Richland123

Fleetwood Mac band lineups.

[​IMG]

Current members

Mick Fleetwood – drums, percussion (1967–present)
    John McVie – bass guitar (1967–present)
    Lindsey Buckingham – guitar, keyboards, vocals, percussion (1975–1987, 1993, 1997–present)
    Stevie Nicks – vocals, keyboards (1975–1991, 1993, 1997–present)

Past members

Jeremy Spencer – guitar, piano, vocals (1967–1971)
    Peter Green – guitar, harmonica, vocals (1967–1970, 1971)
    Bob Brunning – bass guitar (1967; died 2011)
    Danny Kirwan – guitar, vocals (1968–1972)
    Christine McVie – keyboards, vocals (1970–1998)
    Bob Welch – guitar, vocals (1971–1974; died 2012)
    Bob Weston – guitar, vocals (1972–1974; died 2012)
    Dave Walker – vocals (1972–1973)
    Billy Burnette – guitar, vocals (1987–1995)
    Rick Vito – guitar, vocals (1987–1991)
    Bekka Bramlett – vocals (1993–1995)
    Dave Mason – guitar, vocals (1993–1995)

Touring members

Nigel Watson – congas (1971)
    Bobby Hunt – keyboards (1974)
    Doug Graves – keyboards (1974)
    Ray Lindsey - guitar (1979)
    Tony Toadro - percussion (1979)
    Jeffery Sova - keyboards (1979)
    Neale Heywood - guitar, backing vocals (1997 - 2003)
    Lenny Castro - percussion (1997)
    Taku Hirano - percussion (2003)
    Mindy Stein - backing vocals (1987 - 2003)
    Jana Anderson - backing vocals (2003 - present)
    Sharon Celoni - backing vocals (1987 - present)
    Brett Tuggle - keyboards (1997 - present)
  16. ggunn

ggunn

Of course I realize the versions of the band were very different. I am old enough to have heard all those incarnations of the band in real time. I even attended one of the Fake Fleetwood Mac shows in the 70's, though of course I didn't know it was fake until they stepped out on stage. Between songs the crowd was chanting "Where's Fleetwood Mac?"

My favorite period was the one during which they released Kiln House, Penguin, Mystery to Me, Future Games, Bare Trees, and Heroes are Hard to Find. Of course, some musicians moved in and out during that time but there was a continuity to their sound.

I liked the Chicago Blues sound they had during the Peter Green era as well, but not quite as much.

The collision of the band with the Buckingham Nicks project ended it for me. I saw them once shortly after Rumours was released and they were at war with one another right there on stage in front of everybody. They refused to play any material from before the merger, and Christine was shoved into the shadow of Stevie Nicks. It was the Buckingham Nicks show with Fleetwood Mac as their rhythm section.

Anyway, you can't argue with success, and there's no denying that the band was immensely more commercially successful after B&N came on board. I sort of lost interest, though.
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've probably told this story on the board before, but I can't help myself.

It's 1987 or so...

I'm working at "Oliver's." It's the small, crappy restaurant inside of the Holiday Inn in Boulder, CO. I work the day shift. I tell the cook, "Mick Fleetwood wants an omelet."

The cook replies, "it's lunchtime. No more omelets," and then he pauses, and goes, "what do you mean, Mick Fleetwood?"

So I take him over to the opening to the dining room, and I point to my table.

"Hey, that guy does look like Mick Fleetwood," he says.

"Nobody 'looks like Mick Fleetwood,'" I explain patiently, waiting for it to sink in.

"Yeah, OK, I'll make him an omelet."

So here's my entire conversation with Mick:

"I'll have some coffee, and orange juice."
    "What would you like to eat?"
    "I'd like an omelet."
    "I'll have to ask the cook. Breakfast is over."
    (upon returning)
    "He'll make the omelet. What kind of omelet would you like?"
    "Ham and cheese."
    (lightly pokes me in the chest with his fork)
    "You're my waiter."
    (bring him the omelet)
    "Is there anything else I can get you?"
    "No, thank you."
    (after a few minutes)
    "How is everything?"
    (Mick makes the sound of a guy with food in his mouth)

There might have been something else said. He didn't stay long. He tipped me one crumpled up dollar bill.

I maintain that he was semi-wrecked from cocaine usage at the time.

Why didn't I say, "wow! You're one of the greatest drummers of all time," or "I've always been a huge fan," or ask for an autograph, or at least acknowledge I knew who he was?

I just don't do stuff like that.

But I do think he's one of the great drummers of rock and roll history. SOLID. His bass player's pretty darn good, too!

Overall, I'm a "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" fan, and a "Mystery to Me/Bare Trees/Penguin" era fan, but I like some stuff by the mega-popular Mac as well, and overall think they are an amazing band. My wife does a great job of "Landslide," and pretty much channels Stevie Nicks.