Flexocor Deluxe

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Adam Attard, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Has anyone had any experience with trying out these? I've heard a decent range of opinions from really good to just okay.

2. JoeyNaeger

JoeyNaeger

Disclosures:
    Repair guy, Lisle Violin Shop
    I have them on my bass and am very pleased. They have a very clear, focused sound with a big dynamic and tonal range. The bow response is quick and articulate. You can really dig in and push them, more so than with the belcantos. They are also one of the few strings that sound really nice in the upper register on the lower strings. I think for the classical player, these are excellent strings, but they also pizz quite well on my bass. I've grown quite tired of the belcantos and find these strings really enjoyable to play on.

3. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

I currently use bel cantos and from your description these sound perfect- especially the ability to dig in a little more- my bel cantos tend to die out a little when you try to play too loudly. I'll have to give them a try.

4. fstasiak

fstasiak

I received a set to try a couple months ago and think that they are quite amazing.
    Initially they were very similar to the Evahs in feel with a bit more core in the sound.
    Right now I find that I could get a much wider tonal and dynamic palate with the FD, and overall the sting is much easier to control.

I think these will be my first choice strings from now on.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeremie24

jeremie24

Sounds interesting, is it a low tension string, like belcanto ?

7. fstasiak

fstasiak

I haven’t tried bel cantos yet; I’ve always been a Pirastro guy.

It’s an interesting set. The E feels stiffer (and more powerful) than an Evah, but by the time you get to the G, the feel is much softer and easier to play then the Evahs. Works for me.

8. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Do you have any experience with Flexocor 92's, and if so- how would you compare the Deluxe's to them?

Thanks!!!

Joe

9. fstasiak

fstasiak

Hey Joe,
    Sorry I haven’t replied earlier.

92’s are one of the Pirastro sets that I haven’t tired.

I’ve had the Obligatos, Permanents, Orig flat chrome, OG flat chrome solo, OG flex, Evha’s, and Flex Deluxe. I suppose if I’ve already dove so deep into to Pirastro pool, maybe I should give the 92’s a try…

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    They're pretty much all that's left in their catalogue that you haven't tried! ;)

11. fstasiak

fstasiak

A lovely Jake deVilliers tailpiece sporting a new set of Flexocor Deluxe.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      265.9 KB
      Views:
  12. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

you play lefty?

best
    Sidecar

13. fstasiak

fstasiak

I sure do. Luckily the strings don’t seem to mind.

14. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

Neither do I, I was just curious :) Could have been you took the picture while standing in front of a mirror... I was just asking because there's not many of you out there, since it requires a fair amount of work on the bass (bassbar). One of my ex-teachers is lefty as well.

Never mind.
    Best
    Sidecar

15. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

It's a good orchestra string as far as your options go. Quick response, great dynamic range. If you like to press too much, it won't fight you like most other strings. In a way, it lets you "feel" like you're playing loud (though I don't think they actually get any louder).

The tone is a bit bright, perhaps brittle on some basses. More mid- and high-range overtone with less bass than I'd like. They're slightly stiffer under the left hand than bel cantos.

The pizz sound is OK, but not amazing. Comparable to bel cantos as a crossover string.

The extended-E is atrocious. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a good E to match the set. The Passione extended-E probably comes closest.

16. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

That sounds like what I need. I'm borrowing a bass right now from one of the teachers here (an old tyrolean) , and the response with a set of belcantos is pretty non-ideal. I took an audition with Mozart 35 recently and it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience.

Is there a noticeable difference between the extended e and the standard length? I have a quite old flex original E on it right now that seems to work alright, but I don't know if these would be better.

17. fstasiak

fstasiak

What is so bad about it? For me it felt like the best E I’ve played on. I really liked the higher tension compared to the Originals.
    How long has it been on your bass? Maybe we can do a trade….

18. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

It sounds like a farting ogre.

I never put the set on my own bass. I spend a lot of time in a bass shop matching strings to basses and trying the products. I also make a point to try my friends' basses any time they try different strings.

19. fstasiak

fstasiak

20. JoeyNaeger

JoeyNaeger

Disclosures:
    Repair guy, Lisle Violin Shop
    Hey Paul, I actually like the low C on my bass quite a bit. Probably a case of right string for the right bass.