Fliptops V4-410 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fenderken, Feb 16, 2013.

1. fenderken

fenderken

I'm having Fliptops build me a sealed 4-10 cab that will be used with my Ampeg 76' V4 head that I just retubed and had checked. It seems to be a great idea in theory, and they have had good luck with them. It will compliment the V4 by being the same width, and the grillcloth and handles will be 70's style. the speakers are in 2 sealed chambers just like the 8-10 cabs are with the 4 chambers. Also the speakers are Eminence Legends, coming to an 8 ohm impedance total. They have made about a dozen of these so far, but I've yet to talk to anyone that owns one. It should be here in about a week. the build time is a month from the ordering date. $580.00 total shipped to me here in Utah. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My V4 is a "V4" not a V4B. I like the sound of the V4.

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Good news! I recently got a B40 cab (original '73). It looks like it was dragged behind a tractor for a whole harvest season, but here's the thing. It sounds great with my V4. I have a set of Legends on the way only because the original CTS drivers can't handle very much volume. But, according to the guys a US Speaker, the tone will be very similar, only much louder. The point is, I think you will really like the cab. Mine is very similar to what you are talking about other than one chamber, no baffle in the middle like yours. I went back and forth over getting a new one made or getting an old "project". And just about the time I was going to pull the trigger on a new one, this one fell in my lap cheap.

My V4 sounds amazing (as I'm sure yours does). I can't wait to take this setup out. The speakers will be here Tuesday, and DuraTex a couple of days later. Grill cloth hasn't been picked out yet but I hope to match the V4 pretty close. Then it will be off to the gig for this thing.

Enjoy yours! If I'm ever in Utah, we'll have to get together and A/B them. Ha! (I'm only a couple thousand miles away.)

The short version is I think you will really like the sealed 4-10 approach. Good low-mid punch like their big brother, the fridge.

Edit to throw in a pic of my "project".

Attached Files:

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That really sounds cool please post some pics.

4. denton57

denton57

I ordered and owned a Fliptop 4x10 that I used with my 73 SVT. It looked and sounded great. Still don't know why I sold it, as it would have been great with my V4b now. It wasn't V4b width though..

For my V4B, I just bought an empty V4 cab that I'm going to put eminence s2012's in. Have a grill panel on order from fliptops right now. Sealed and perfect match size wise for the V4B! So excited!

I also have a custom LDS 1x15 that I ordered and have been using with my V4B (in classifieds). Custom width, 70's cosmetics. I used it last night in a big room with about 125 people. It killed! It just filled the room with a thick and solid P bass with flats tone that had musicians and non musicians coming up to me and saying how great it sounded. It may have been the best tone I've ever had. V4/V4B is the best amp ever! Not sure I want to sell the cab now, even though I am restoring the V4 cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fenderken

fenderken

I saw one if LDS cabs on eBay for sale. Was that yours? I'll post some pics when the cab gets here next week. Ken

7. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Very cool!

I am currently having Don Oatman at Low Down Sound build me a very similar cab (a sealed 4x10) for my 1973 Ampeg B25B (square black graphics). Like yours, my cab will be loaded with four Eminence Legend B810 32-ohm speakers. It will have two separate chambers, just like yours. I'm having Don put the divider vertical (rather than horizontal like in the fridge cab). Since the B25B has two 16-ohm speaker outs, I'm having Don install separate speaker jacks for each vertical pair. That way, I can run just one vertical pair, or both, depending on my desired volume level. Like you, I am having vintage grill cloth installed to match my amp.

My B25B amp is around 50 watts. It will be my home practice rig. For gigs, I will use my 300 watt Ampeg SVT-II non-pro into my Bergantino NV610 (for oomph) plus the B25B rig (for power tube saturation) when desired. I will use a Lehle splitter box to run both amps at the same time. Fun! :bassist:

Once you receive your cab and have a chance to play your V4 through it, please post up with a tone report. I'll bet it will sound fantastic!

8. denton57

denton57

It was on there until last night after my gig. It sounded glorious and filled a pretty big room with ease. I am trying to think of a way to keep it and justify to my wife that I need 2 cabs... It is that good of a single 15 cab. Ended the eBay auction right after the gig. Still in the classifieds on here though. I was planning on using the money from it to by 4 12's for the V4 cab. Now, I don't know.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Easier to ask forgiveness than permission ;)

10. fenderken

fenderken

You guys crack me up. I have six Ampeg vintage SVTs,and one V4,that I love. Only 2 cabs. One 80's 810,and the 410 that's coming from Fliptops. I've found also that it's easier to ask for forgiveness. She's used to it now after 30 years. We must all be crazy. Ken

11. denton57

denton57

I am bass gear crazy. I will admit that :)

12. bassvi

bassvi

It's ok, we are too!!!

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Good luck with the cab...should sound nice with the V4.

I've often wondered why more companies (or at least Ampeg) don't offer a sealed, 4ohm 410 for folks to use with their SVT's. I would think being able to crank it up into "the zone" and filling the bar with that sound without blowing the doors off it (thus getting asked back for more gigs) would have more appeal. I have plans drawn up for one, with a couple modifications for carrying the room with your rig, but alas, no speaker company of my own to market it.....might have to get on that.:) Fliptops and Weber each have a 10" available in 16ohms that will do "that sound", and I'm sure wirh a large enough order, Eminence would be happy to make one too.

14. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

you have lots of company here, my friend, it's OK to admit it ;)

To the OP: looks like a great idea, please post pics/sound when it comes in :cool:

15. fenderken

fenderken

I promise I'll post some pics once it gets here. Thanks all. Ken