1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Florida Music Scene

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by sanwin17, Dec 23, 2011.

1. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier.

Hey
    I know you're in the sunshine state. Looks like I'm going to be moving to FL shortly. I have no idea what part or where I should be looking. Just want to know where the best live music scenes are. I'm a well seasoned pro in classic rock blues and jazz. I'm not looking to make a living playing bass just looking for opportunities to join a good band and play a few gigs.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. johny martin

johny martin

I moved up from the atmpa bay area a few years ago , good music there just everthing else sux

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Don't look for anything good in Jacksonville.

4. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

Gainesville is alright.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Villages is great for "oldies" :)

7. VJBASST

VJBASST

Florida has two major markets,,tourists and seniors, If you want to cater to seniors there is alot of work in the central and northern parts of the state. South florida is still a hot bed for retirees in places like west plam beach. Tourisim is more wide spread and in my opinion a better market. Orlando has most of the convention work,, It pays well but hard to break into. The pay scale here is usually $100-$125 per man for a 4hr show in the clubs and $200-$400 for convention work depending on the act. If your looking at the seniors gigs they usually pay between $150 and $200 for a 2 to 3 hour show. If you don't want to be so serious there are lots of local bars and pubs that hire bands for between $150 and $300 for a night. Those gigs usually pay between $50 and $100 per night. As a freelancer(musical prostitute) I end up playing all these types of venues. I have made my living playing music here but it was comercial rock covers for tourists. People are really picky about your "look" or your "image" so it helps to have those before you get here. It also helps to have top notch equipment as you will be judged by that before they even hear you. The south florida scene seems to be more latin influenced as well so bars have more dj's and karoke and solo acts. Florida as a whole has more solo acts per capita than any other state! Thanks jimmy buffett!!

8. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

I'd agree with all of this and add that in Palm Beach and Broward counties you can include snowbirds as a third market combination. This is still "the season" for Society gigs, Arts Festival concerts and Country Club parties now and work is good. Once June/July rolls around and the 'birds go back up north, things slow waaaaay down.

And, sanwin17: if indeed you are an excellent driver, you will find yourself in the minority! ;)

9. Dr Stankface

Dr Stankface Supporting Member

Jacksonville is a gold mine compared to where I'm from. There's plenty of good bands around here and a lot of groovy places to play.

10. Steve

Steve

I don't know about all that. I've been working NE Florida since '82 and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one I know with a pair of long pants and collared shirt or a rig that costs more than $500

11. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

No offense but Jacksonville is a HOTBED for music right now. There are a ton of amazing bands and all in all everybody is pretty supportive of each other. I can name at least 20 seriously amazing bands in jax right now. Anyone that says there is nothing going on or there is no culture in jax, is just sitting home and bitching about it. There is live music everynight.

http://bandcamp.com/tag/jacksonville

Orlando aint bad either, but there is no way I would live there.

I see jacksonville as it was in the early 70's when the allmans, lynard skynard, blackfoot, .38 special, molly hatchet all exploded all over the radio. Duval county has a lot of pride and is about to burst again. Just stay away from the trolls on craigslist.

How old are you? What kind of music do you want to play?

12. Blake Bass

Blake Bass

How about the Cocoa Beach/Space Coast music scene??

13. TinIndian

TinIndian

That's where I am mainly. A lot of places to play in the cover scene. A few really good places. Some originals stuff too.

http://www.spacecoastlive.com/

Here is a link to Space Coast Live. It lists 95% of the bands and places to play around here. Pay is OK. The better bands get 400-500 a night, so you aren't going to get rich. We have no shortage of gig's, in fact we turn down a bunch because we only want to play about 3 times a month and once a weekend.

14. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Ton of great players in the Tampa Bay area. Some good places to play, but most want to pay in Monopoly money

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Stay away from Orlando and the Villages. We have enough bass players around here, thank you.

:D

16. mike o

mike o

TinIndian,
    Please LMK what band your playing in.

17. mcapote

mcapote

i agree and miami is kinda lame its like 10 or so bands playing everywhere and hard to get new bands in unless you play with the other bands and know the owners.

18. Bogster

Bogster Supporting Member

Both of these. There is a TON of talent in the Jax/OP area and anyone not seeing it is apparently not looking.

19. Hangfire

Hangfire

The music scene in Tallahassee put me through college. Great music scene and great people!

20. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

Space Coast area used to have a great scene. There are a few good bands here and a LOT of mediocre ones playing the same tired songs I've heard for 15 years, my band included. Drives me crazy. Come on down and show us how its done!

21. davio

davio

Do you want a "scene" or "work"? If you want to play in a local rock/blues band and play the bar/club scene, most cities and towns of a half decent size will do. If you want to work freelance and stay working, Orlando, Miami and Key West are probably your best markets.