Flu pandemic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 31, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I can't remember at time when I have seen so many people sick at once. There is a very nasty strain of flu going around here where I live. Some people are bedridden for a week or more. It also seems that those who don't have the flu have a cold. I'm guessing about 60% of the people around here are sick right now. Of course that is a very unscientific guess but it sure seems that way.
    I haven't gotten the flu but I do have a cold.
    Is the same thing going on where you live?

This from the CDC via CNN:

(CNN) -- The number of states reporting widespread seasonal flu activity jumped from four to 10 last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

Widespread activity was reported in Alabama, Alaska, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and Wyoming, according to the CDC's weekly flu advisory report, covering the week ending December 21.

The previous week, only Alabama, Louisiana, New York and Texas reported widespread flu.

"Widespread" means that more than 50% of geographic regions in a state -- counties, for example -- are reporting flu activity. It addresses the spread of the flu, not its severity.

Flu kills five in Texas However, six states -- Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas -- reported a high proportion of outpatient visits to health care providers for flu-like illnesses.

So far, "it's a typical influenza season, if I can use that word," said Dr. Michael Jhung, a medical officer in the CDC's flu division.

The season usually begins in the winter months and peaks in January or February.

The only atypical thing seen this year is that the most common strain has been H1N1, which became known as swine flu during a 2009 outbreak.

"It's the same virus that we saw in 2009 that caused the pandemic," Jhung said. At the time, it was called swine flu since it was seen for the first time in humans.

But since then, "it's established itself very nicely in the human population," Jhung said. "We've seen it every season since 2009 in people." The virus is no longer referred to as swine flu but instead as a human seasonal virus.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/27/health/cdc-flu/

The CDC didn't mention California as one of the places hit hard. I hope it doesn't get any worse.
  2. DogBone

DogBone

Everyone in my household has been sick with the flu over the past week.

I'm actually glad it happened during the holidays, it would have wiped out my normal sick time to have to take a week plus off of work.

Good news, we are all on the mend.

Also many of my social media friends are sick as well.

It's been a rough one.
  3. slobake

Glad to hear you are all on the mend.
  4. DogBone

DogBone

Thanks.

Was about two solid days of kick-butt stay in bed fever and nausea, but seems like it has taken a loooong time to get over the residual cough and lack of energy.

Slowly but surely. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i have a winter hay fever if that counts. i'm not really sure, but it doesn't feel like i'm sick, just perpetual running nose is the only symptom,... so far.
  7. slobake

Take two TBOT's and call me in the morning.:D
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

The flu went through our office last month with confirmed cases of H1N1. All of us employees were in Austin for the weekend at the annual company meeting. One person was sick, but as we all went back to our homes across the USA, we took the flu with us.

-Mike
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I got a cold within a day of arriving in Philadelphia (here for the holidays, going back to montreal in a few days). Both my friend and gf already had it when i arrived so... (surprisingly i found out cold can incubate for a period as short as 16 hours so i'm pretty positive i didnt catch it before i left)

It was definitely a cold since i didnt get fever but three days ago it kept me down all day, felt very weak and overly sleepy. Though i suspect this was partly due to the fact that i took nyquil the night before and have low resistance to any kind of sleeping drugs. Now i ony have mucus and bit of a cough.

I hOPE i dont get the flu, last one was already some years back but it was a horrible one.
  10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Not that I've noticed locally on my side of the pond, hopefully it stays that way! I had flu in 2009 (for the first time) and again in the first week or so of this year.

Would be typical for me to catch it, given it's next year that I get flu vaccination (and a whole lot of others) at work (dealing with infected tissues).
  11. slobake

I hope it doesn't migrate there. Maybe you should ban us from traveling their until this thing subsides. :p
  12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Perhaps it is due to more people getting flu shots?
  13. slobake

No comment :)
  14. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Doesn't seem that bad in Arizona. I work in a pharmacy next to a hospital and assisted living facility, seems almost non-existent compared to last year *knock on wood*.
  15. spade2you

spade2you

Haven't seen much of it in my neck of the woods.
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

As stated above id got a cold about 10 days ago. CLeared it, came back home from the holidays. A day later, flu hit me. Its really bad right now. Chills, skin feels painful, worn out, bad cough in ym lungs. I was fine this morning.... probably swine since its the one thats been going around. Thats what i get for traveling. I hibernate for most of the winter except around the holidays. I'm really hating ym life right about now and dreading what itll feel ike tomorrow. Usuaolly the third and fouth days are the worst...tomorrow will be second. Last flu i got some years back prty much knocked me out for over a week. Fun. And i'm home alone...no one to help or make food or go get stuff....plus its -20 celsius out. Yeah i sound like im whining but goddam...
  17. Russell foulkes

Russell foulkes

Time to get out the ol' cowboy boots, denims, and going by just my initials then....
  18. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Nice reference to The Stand!
  19. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Oh jesus. please dont remind me. I have slight hypocondriac tendencies and i found it really hard to read the beginning of The Stand because just the accurate description of the disease made me feel sick and uneasy. I had to start it over eventually, i atually finished reading it this year after trying for like three.

I feel like a bulldozer ran me over today. I feel like i weigh twice my weight. I've barely been able to get up. I had to go buy myself some gatorade cause i think i was in the early stages of dehydration.

I would only wish this flu upon my worst enemy (im not a big enough man to not wish it on anyone)
  20. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It's how I started 2013, so you have my sympathies!
  21. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

lol,.. i tried that. now it's a week later and twice as bad. my runny nose is now stuffed-up causing nagging headaches!:(