Flyer. Ok to use pictures of band your covering?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mingusitis, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mingusitis

mingusitis

2. bluewine

bluewine

Can't wait tp see the responses for your question.

Me, I don't even know what a jam band is or anything about the culture of this genre.

The poster, when I look at it I wouldn't think is was a flyer for a Dead show.

Blue
  3. dalkowski

dalkowski

I get what you're trying to achieve, but to be honest it seems lame and lazy IMO.

I think it'd be more effective to get away from such a literal depiction of your heroes and create a graphic/type/color treatment that conveys the vibe you're after, gets attention and promotes the "Oven Phresh" identity.

I think your band name is pretty great, BTW. Right there, you're giving people a good clue as to what you're about musically. You can do a lot with it that's original and cool without having to lift someone else's illustration.

Good luck
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Put a picture of your own band on it, period. Anything else is a bit deceptive IMHO. Not that they expect Phish to show up to a 200 seat club or anything, but still, your flyers should be about YOU.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. throughthefire

throughthefire

Simple question: Did *YOU* draw or create the main image on the poster? If so, you can use it. If not, legally you need to get permission from the copyright holder. (you might never get caught, but that doesn't make it legal)

Bear in mind also that if you're producing posters for shows, it's a magnitude cheaper to get everything printed in black/white, instead of color. Would your image work in black/white?
  7. mingusitis

mingusitis

Ok, good feed back here. Lame? Idk about that, lazy? Definitely lol. I am just thinking if I saw this on a wall at Ben and Jerry's I would instantly check it out. Maybe look them up and if any good go check out. We have yet to even play a gig yet so the idea of investing money into an artist for promotion just seems like a lot at this point. At this moment, printing these off my computer and hanging them around just seems easy, fast, and a good way to get the name and word out. BUT, if you guys think it will be counter productive I will not do it.
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Even if you are a Grateful Dead tribute band, this poster is very deceiving. Why not have cartoon characters of your own band on it?
  9. mingusitis

mingusitis

Cartoon characters of my own band? That really doesn't let people know anything about us. Who cares who we are...no one. People just care about the music we play, which is what I am trying to promote. If I saw a picture of some randos I wouldn't even think to look. If I saw a picture of my two favorite bands I might step up and see what its about...
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I like it great concept and art work if I just saw "Oven Phresh" I would have no clue it was a cover band and who the band was covering and I love both groups.
  11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I don't like it.. when people see a band's flyer, they should know what the flyer is for and have that first impression of the band. This particular flyer, I wouldn't know what the band is. I guess I'd assume it's a cover band, but if the band isn't on the flyer it doesn't make any sense. You want people to identify with YOUR band, not the band's you're covering, even though they have to like the music you're playing. If that makes sense.
  12. Richland123

Richland123

Well, you are not The Grateful Dead and that is who is on the flyer.
  13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Maybe if you add the fact you are a tribute band I think that would soothe the diehards but I love the art concept
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll add that if you do keep the poster and add "A tribute to" to it, make it big enough where reasonable people can see it clearly. It's just not good business practice not to, bro.
  15. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

In MY opinion, that's not the way to look at it AT ALL!! You need to promote YOURSELVES. You are the band you are trying to promote, not Phish or Dead. If you want to add "Tribute to Phish and The Dead" to the poster, that's as far as I would go.

I'm with the crowd that says no, you should NOT use pics of the bands you are covering. I do like the poster... I just think it should be you guys in it.
  16. bassinplace

bassinplace

I think the poster's fine. I do think you should add some text about who you are though. Like "Phish/Dead/Tribute/Jam band" or something to that effect. I think it just needs a bit more explanation than what you've currently got. Not a lot, just a bit.
  17. bolophonic

bolophonic

No way would I use that flyer. Get someone with graphic design experience to help you out.
  18. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Then the sooner you start promoting yourself, the better. ;)
  19. Factor88

Factor88

You may be aware of it, but if not this site http://www.gratefuldeadtributebands.com/
    will give you a good idea of what other dead tribute bands use for promo. While a small number actually use Garcia's head in thier logo's, most just use some type of phsychodelic-themed logo. In an admittedly short browse of 15-20 random band websites, I did not see one that used a photograph or drawing of the entire Greatful Dead, most have photos of themselves.

So, either your idea has been tried before and it failed or was illegal, etc. OR you are such a creative genius that you are the first person to ever want to try this groundbreaking new marketing strategy.

If you want to bet on the latter, that's your business.
  20. the yeti

the yeti

if it's someone else's artwork it is absolutely not ok to use it without their permission.
  21. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I doubt I would go look at it (I rarely pay any attention to advertisements), but if I did I'd probably be confused and wondering why there was a drawing of The Dead on it.

+1. It doesn't make any sense. I have no idea what the Possum>Franklins>ACDC/Rider part means. Are you covering AC/DC and The Doors?