Flying pinky on right hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Mar 26, 2014.

1. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I've been trying to record some videos of myself playing to work on my technique and I've noticed that when playing faster parts, my ring and pinky finger on my right hand fly away and stick out from the strings. I'm usually a pick player for band stuff, but I like to mess with other genres and playing styles on my own. Are there any exercises to fix that?

Bass is a 74 P with a bridge cover but no pickup cover. Anchor on the pickup/string and sometimes float. I just can't seem to keep my pinky and ring finger under control.
  2. noagreement

noagreement

I think it is more common than you think. My pinky tends to stick out there as well, but is has no negative effect and never bothered me. Just tuck your ring and pinky under to your palm if it causing problems - that's a fairly natural thing to get used to.

If you continue using your fingers instead of a pick, you may find that your ring finger serves well as a third finger on the strings. It takes some work, but lots of players benefit from using three.
  3. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I'm working towards getting the ring finger in there and can do it on slower songs. But the pinky sticking out looks sort of "amateur" on me. It almost makes it look like I'm trying harder than I am, if that makes sense.
  4. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. noagreement

noagreement

I don't think anyone really notices. Try some tape or a rubber band to keep it locked in.

I was sitting here playing air bass and trying to think how my right hand fingers are typically positioned. I think you actually lose a little extension if you tuck your ring and pinky in.

Let it fly brother! Saw your in Philly area - nice. Up in Glenside myself.
  7. chungweishan

chungweishan

I never thought of where my pink was on my right hand. Nowadays, I just naturally slighty tilt my hand towards the strings. Even if my pinky stuck out, it wouldn't be near the strings at all.

When I pluck with my ring finger I just slightly twist my hand again to be flatter near the strings, my pinky just curves a bit. I don't purposely try to tuck my fingers, at least to the point where it's noticeable and/or painful.

However, I tend to utilize my whole right hand when playing and move it around for tone. This might be a carry-over from finger-style on guitar that always included being ready to use the pinky.