Flying to Europe with a bass

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by BostonPop01, Sep 7, 2012.

1. BostonPop01

BostonPop01

What has the general experience been with flying a bass from the US to Europe (specifically Germany)? Are there any airlines I should look out for or stay away from? About how much should I anticipate paying? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Alex I think your best bet would be to fly Lufthansa. Expect to pay around 200 euros each way. I've also flown British Airways and not had any major problems. I would absolutely stay away from KLM and their affiliates.

3. MNbass

MNbass

I used Continental from NY to Copenhagen. I made sure to print out the airlines contract of carriage as back up because many employees don't know a double bass from a banjo. Depending on the person you are dealing with, you will probably get different reactions and prices for the excess size and weight of the bass. The contract of carriage specifically states that double basses are allowed. So by having it in hand it helped me when they said it was too large to be accepted.

4. pedro

pedro

I'm not following here did you all buy a seat for the bass or checked it as baggage and if you checked it was it in a hard shell case?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Checked, and in a flight case.

7. pedro

pedro

Thanks Peter.

8. Andrew Chilcote

Andrew Chilcote

I took United from Boston to Zurich last week and was charged $600 for it ($400 for being 70-99 lbs and $200 for oversize). Luckily someone else is stuck with the bill. They also impressively forgot to take it off the plane in Zurich, but got it delivered directly to the concert hall for me as a result.

9. LordRyan

LordRyan

I have flown Lufthansa, KLM, Air France, and British Airways carrying music gear. The only bad experience was on Air France where the headstock of a guitar was broken even though it was in a hard case padded with towels wrapped around the neck and headstock. They refused to pay any damages. Lufthansa and KLM are both outstanding airlines and would be among my top preferences. I fly Delta a lot and highly recommend them, also.