1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Flying with a Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Landy67, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Landy67

Landy67 Supporting Member

Hi all,

This fall I met one of my music heroes while traveling, and we really connected. As a result, I've been invited on a week long tour with him and another musician that I've heard of. I was told that they would "welcome a double bass player" to jam with on the trip between stops and shows. I would really like to play bass for these two, but since I don't own a double bass, I'll have to get a complete setup.

How hard is it to travel with a double bass? Does anyone know the cost to check a bass on a flight? Are there any concerns checking a bass?

This seems to be a real expensive proposition, I can't get over the cost of a flight case! (talk about sticker shock!)

Should I be looking at something with a removable neck? I will only travel with the bass 2 times a year, three this year, but I really don't want to spend 3K for a case!

Do you think it would be acceptable to get an Eminence and something like a Phil Jones Briefcase, or would that really put off a couple of serious folk musicians?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

You don't own a double bass but you want to start by buying a flight case, a bass (maybe with a removable neck), and then fly around with it? This is a lot of money to do that.. If you don't play double bass, maybe you should just bring an electric, 'cause DB isn't a "pick me up in two days" kinda instrument.
  3. Landy67

How hard is the transition from fretless electric to double bass? I've played one at a bluegrass fest, and I was able to keep up with the rest of the group. I didn't have much style, but I got the notes OK.

I was looking at the airline fees for oversized baggage, and it looks like it's more money than I'm going to want to spend for a few days of dragging it around.

I may be better off staying a mandolin player. Those things are easy to take with you!
  4. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

It's pretty important to note that the only real difference between DB and electric is the tuning. Sure, there may be some cross over, but it's very little.

You may have played one at a bluegrass festival and "gotten the notes right" but it's very hard to play very well in tune, without any technique (since you've never studied DB).

Remember that the bass sounds very different from where your are standing (behind the instrument) and where the other people are. Furthermore, playing pizz on DB has a fast decay and is hard to play in tune, and this is furthered when you have no RH technique.
  5. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Flying on Southwest with a trunk seems to be the best reliable way for now. It's only $75 for each leg of the trip and the staff are usually very friendly and prepared to help.
  6. Landy67

I don't understand what you mean about the tuning... Every DB that I tried at the Bluegrass Fest was tuned exactly like my Electric basses. EADG, BEAGD, or if it only had two strings A & D. Do they normally tune a DB in fifth's like my mandolin or a cello?

It's actually not that hard to play in tune without frets, and it doesn't take that long to adjust to the different scale. I usually play Rocksmith with my fretless Godin A4. I'm not as fast as I am on my Stingray, but I still do pretty good. I can stay close enough in tune that I still get decent scores.

I think I can probably pick it up, at least well enough to get by. I was talking to the folks at Upton Bass. They have one I can rent for a couple of months, and they said I can take lessons there as well. I'm looking forward to learning.
  7. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I've done a lot of bluegrass dates for a higher profile act. Rarely will the you see the bass player fly with a bass. It's REALLY expensive. You can rent locally much cheaper.
  8. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

if i may, I'm joining the question about flying, is there any cheap case you would trust to fly with? (in my case, only 1 flight)

sorry if its inappropriate to ask also...
  9. Nagrom

Nagrom

If you are looking for a comparison between electric bass and double bass, think about how much your mandolin playing helps your violin work.
  10. joel3000

joel3000

Rent. Hauling a DB is an endeavor. It's more complicated than just the plane, although that may be the hardest and most expensive.

Try to find a DB to play in the city and let the owner bring it to you. You can put ads on CL if you need to to find it.
  11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

:D:D:D

This is adorable.
  12. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Bless his heart…..
  13. Landy67

Problem solved!

I picked up a Chadwick Folding Bass last night, and it looks and sounds like it's exactly what I was looking for!
  14. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

Now you have to get in to shape, which is going to take a few months. Don't hurt your hands while you do, that'll take a very long time to recover. Get a few lessons.
  15. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

I think that what they meant to say was, "the only similarity between the bass guitar and the double bass is tuning."
  16. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

I think I might pick up flying. How hard can the transition from automovile to airplane be?
  17. Landy67

It's going to be a little while before I can start playing. I broke my left wrist a while ago, and I'm not supposed to be playing yet.

That gives me some time to do some research and find a good teacher. There's a bass/drum shop in the area that has a teacher that does lessons on DB.

And, does this look like it would be worth the money? Double Bass Workout Video
  18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Rent!!!
    The transition from bass guitar to DB is huge!!!
    Go for it but RENT!!!
  19. Landy67

Already bought and paid for!

The resale on the Chadwick seems to be high enough that I'm guessing that I could sell it and recoup most of my money on it. I'll bet that I could sell it in a year, and lose less that it would cost me to rent for a year. Or I could just keep it forever in my collection and let my heirs worry about what to do with it when I'm gone.

It's funny, but when I was asking about buying one of those Chinese folding basses on ebay for $700 I was told that they would be crap, and I should look at something quality made because they have resale value, now I'm hearing that I shouldn't buy one because it's hard to play compared to an electric bass.
  20. Bow tie

Bow tie

Since you've already made the leap, good on you! I wish I would of had the option of trying one out like you did. I ended up with an Electric Upright, but it is "not quite" the right sound. Still a blast to play however.
    You've gotten some discouraging input from some guys here, but I found I could make the transition to DB. Just be prepared (if you're like me) to be embarrassing iffy on pitch anywhere above the fifth fret for quite a while. I have no idea if it's "approved" advice, but I put tiny pencil marks VERY occasionally right on the neck (not too many for fear of becoming a crutch) and it help me quite a bit.