Flying with Lufthansa...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lupo_13, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Lupo_13

Lupo_13

Ok, so the day after tomorrow I'm taking a flight with Lufthansa from Graz (Austria) to Madrid. I just called them to check if my bass was allowed on the cabin, and got the usual response of "book an extra seat or gtfo". Still, I have some friends who have travelled with lufthansa carrying their guitars with absolutely 0 problems. I lack first-hand information about how they treat basses, tho, and that's why I'm here.

So the question: Any of you guys ever took your bass with you while travelling with Lufthansa? Could you bring it into the cabin with you? Did you have to pay extra? Any info is welcome.

Thanks in advance ;)

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Taking your bass onto any plane is basically going to be first come first serve. It's also possible they flat out say now and force you to check it. With that said, I've never had an issue.

3. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

I flew several times with lufthansa but the problem is the same to all the other fly companies I went trough.
    The real issue exist between the flight attendant and the airport attendant.
    Usually there are companies that let you bring a guitar or bass as carry on baggage and let you put it in the flight attendant closet on the airplane. The real problem come when a ground attendant let you (rare case now) bring the bass as carry on baggage and when you arrive on board the flight attendants don't allow you to bring in with the consequence to send it, just with the gig bag together the regular luggage, and that is a thing you don't want ;-)
    Honestly I never heard about book ad additional seat for a musical instrument, what I can suggest you is check your bass with a good case.
    I found years ago the solution with the SKB Ata roto case, usually I check it just as regular luggage, some low cost companies make you pay an additional cost for that, but with traditional companies as Lufthansa just give it the chance with a regular fly tickets.
    Cheers.

www.enricogaletta.com
    on youtube
    on twitter
    study with me