1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Flying with my Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wwolfgang, Jan 12, 2014.

1. wwolfgang

wwolfgang

I am flying to Florida from Colorado in February to play a reunion set with my old band at the Aura Music festival. my flight connects in Atlanta.

I recently purchased a Modulus Quantum 5 - seeing as these basses are no longer being made, I am worried about flying with it. I know that we are supposed to be able to carry instruments on, but no airline will guarantee it.

I'm not worried about the bass getting damaged if checked, it will be packed well. I am more concerned about the bass being lost as the airline will not guarantee it's arrival if checked. In addition, by home owners insurance will cover the cost of the instrument, but that is a moot point since they are extremely difficult to find right now (try finding one on ebay...). I know the odds of the airline losing the bass are really low and I am probably worrying for no reason, but still...

Anyway, I was hoping to get some input from those of you who have experience traveling with your instrument.

2. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

I would try and get a direct flight. Way less chance of it getting lost. I would also phone ahead and ask if there is a spot up front with the flight attendants or a long enough overhead. If all fails i would see if they will "gate check" your bass with the strollers and such.

TMB

3. wwolfgang

wwolfgang

I tried getting a direct flight, but that is not possible. The airline said there is a spot up front for the bass, but it is available on a first come, first serve basis. The gate check is a good idea if all else fails.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I realize this is very little consolation, but fwiw, the few times that an airline has lost my checked luggage (which admittedly was never my bass, just my clothes) they always managed to find it and return it to me. Longest I was without my possessions was 3 days; most of the time they delivered the missing suitcase within 3 hours of my arrival.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

:hyper:No problems flying last month on United, and American, though on my trip home I picked up a first class ticket for cheap, and they hand delivered my bass to the baggage area. Which was nice.

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    United? I'd be nervous!

8. BrianToska

BrianToska

The only instrument I've flown with is my acoustic guitar. Out of the three times I've flown with it, it's only been "lost" once and that was because I locked the hard case. It wasn't a TSA approved lock so they held the instrument to check it. When I got it back the lock was popped off and the wiring inside the guitar was undone. I know this probably doesn't help but out of the many times I've flown, this is the only incident I've had like this.

9. wwolfgang

wwolfgang

This is all good info. Thanks for the input.

10. 3armdave

3armdave

Want to take your bass or other musical instrument on a plane no problem?

listen up, this is how.

All you have to do is take your axe with you, don't check it at the desk, as luggage, say you are going to "gate check" your bass. Get a gate check tag on your case or gig bag. Check all you bags for undernthe plane and proceed to your gate, even if this includes going through X-rays etc. with your bass,cameras etc... No worries.
    Just put your guitar/bass on the conveyor belt as if it were a normal carry on bag. When questioned say "I will be gate checking this, it is my guitar.". You willmgetnthrough. Go to your boarding gate, wait for boarding, then ask the gate personnel for a gate check card if you haven't gotten one already (hint from the check in desk) or to put into the on board storage (upper cabinets in the aircraft, or very limited cupboard up front usually designated for flight crew but they might be nice and let you use it, it has happened to me...)

Thus you can bring the guitar and not risk damage by storing in either in the climate controlled cabin (best) or gate check area.
    Essentially pretend it is your baby car seat or stroller. LOL
    D

11. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ibanez
    D[/QUOTE]
    All you have to do is take your axe with you, don't check it at the desk, as luggage, say you are going to "gate check" your bass. Get a gate check tag on your case or gig bag. Check all you bags for undernthe plane and proceed to your gate, even if this includes going through X-rays etc. with your bass,cameras etc... No worries.
    Just put your guitar/bass on the conveyor belt as if it were a normal carry on bag. When questioned say "I will be gate checking this, it is my guitar.". You willmgetnthrough. Go to your boarding gate, wait for boarding, then ask the gate personnel for a gate check card if you haven't gotten one already (hint from the check in desk) or to put into the on board storage (upper cabinets in the aircraft
    D[/QUOTE]

This works every time for me. I am usually able to get my bass on the plane. The ONLY times I have had issues was with US Airways.

I use my hardshell Ibanez cases. If you use a soft shell it will work, but most of the gate baggage just goes in front of the Checked baggage with not barrier. Meaning a hard landing will push everything forward. Just a thought. Hope this helps!