1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

fmi original weedwackers vs superior bassworks

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by papachains88, Jul 31, 2013.

1. papachains88

papachains88

Yes I am the owner of a ccb from fmi, I love my bass, and it does the trick. I have a set of weedwackers that came with it, transitioned to innovation silver slaps. The silver slaps are a much smaller gauge than the wackers, but truthfully thanks to some advice on this site, sound exponentially better... except for the buzz created by the extra room in the nut and bridge slots. Now I'm in the market for more experimenting. I want good tone like silvers, but I need the size for fmi wackers. I was thinkin plain gut full set bc I believe them to be gauged out to a larger size like my wackers. I could take it to a luthier, but I think wackers are more my style (playing, I could care less about the color) and I would like to find anew set of wackers anyway. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about sbw wackers. After much research, I've found everyone's favorite wackers seem to be cordes lamberts, but to date I cannot find them, so please take no offense when I say that the suggestion to lamberts is not helpful. Any input helps. Thank you slappers!

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Whackers are whackers. Lamberts Deluxe are nice, but they are what they are. If that's what you want, I suggest you check out Superior Deluxe which are treated and grooved like Lamberts. But the improvement you describe probably has more to do with Innovations being an actual bass string and not a repurposed lawn accessory. The enlarged slots can be repaired with superglue and wood dust, which should reduce the buzzing.

3. kurt

kurt

It could also be that your CCB needs some work on the fingerboard or nut in general. I find that any real bass string will buzz more than whackers because there is much more sustain, which tends to highlight any problem buzz causing areas. You may also try just putting your D and G whacker back on and pairing them with the current A and E. A lot of people seem to like that combo.