Foam mutes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Precision101, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Can't say I've ever heard of people using mutes on a guitar, but those would probably do fine on bass. Easiest route to go is cutting some weather stripping that you buy from the hardware store. Heck, I even used the rubber foam from a pair of sandals for my P-bass, worked like a charm. Just need something spongy and strong.

3. BigMarc

BigMarc

A friend of mine uses these...he plays a couple gigs a week... I personally do not use them, but for a few bucks... why not try them if your interested in them...

4. Precision101

Precision101

You gave me an idea! I have this thick type sponge I could try

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Precision101

Precision101

So ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388372828.185924.jpg

Works like a charm. You said sponge and a lightbulb went off. Thanks!

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This is not rocket surgery. Foam is foam, a bass is a bass, so just try different kinds of things. For muting people have used foam, fabric woven through the strings, and even things like hair scrunchies wrapped over the strings around the first fret.

If it helps, the original foam between the bridge cover and the strings on my 1963 P-bass is essentially the same foam used for dense weatherstripping applications. I still have that foam in storage.

8. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

That's just the foam that is meant to go on the Jag mute or on the underside of a P or J bridge cover.

People use all sorts of muting materials. If not the stock Fender method using the bridge cover, it's usually a sponge stuck under the strings. I think Carol Kaye tapes a piece of foam over the strings.

9. Precision101

Precision101

So I used the sponge and works great but by bass starts to sharp. Is that normal if I stick it under the strings?