1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Foam padding under pickups

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NooN3000, Mar 11, 2013.

1. NooN3000

NooN3000

I have an ibanez sra500 with humbuckers on it, but the pups are not lavel as I want. I looked under the pups and found some dence foam underneath. The foam is pretty much shot so I figured I would replace it. The problem is I can't find it anywhere. The tech at GC looked at me like I was retarded when I told him what I needed. He would not help me unless I brought the bass to him and he would "fix" it, for a price of coarse. Craft stores didn't have it, electronic stores didn't have it, I even tried home depot and staples for a suitable substitute even, nadda. So does anyone know what u can use to get the same kind of backpressure on the pups so I can adjust them correctly??

Thanks,
    NooN3000
  2. dtripoli

dtripoli

I used weather stripping I had laying around and for another I found a soft sponge and cut it to size. Not rocket science here, it's just a cushion that gently keeps the PU flush with the screws.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

^ That. They have it at Home Depot.
  4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Yup. That's what I was going to suggest. You can get the dense stuff for sealing around air conditioners.
  5. drewish927

drewish927

What I used recently with great success was the a little of the foam padding you get inside a pelican or storm case. It may not be as available to most as it is to me at work, but if you can get your hands on it, works great!
  6. ma4rk

ma4rk

Use a dish washing sponge. Easy to cut to size.
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This is not difficult. Any foam dense enough to hold the pickup in place works. Go to Home Depot or Ace Hardware and get some random objects that have foam.
  8. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

be colorful and try part of a swimming noodle used in a pool
  9. NooN3000

NooN3000

Nice guys. Thanks. I finally found what I was looking for at joann's fabrics. Thanks again.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Mouse pads razor'd to shape...#1. I have a whole stack of 'em imprinted with out company's logo and 2012 calendar.

Riis
  11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Any kind of semi dense squishy foam will work. Like the gray to black kind often used on package padding of products. Cut peices just a little smaller then pup route cavity for size so fits easy. Layer it thick enough so pup springs up easy but not so much that is hard to get pups down to desired position.
  12. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

I never liked having foam pads under the pickups, so I was happy to get rid of the pads and switch to making small spacer sleeves out of surgical tubing, which slide over the pickup mounting screws.

The ease and accuracy they allow make raising and lowering the pickups a real pleasure. The tubing is sold in a range of wall thickness, density, and compressibility, so you can choose the amount of springiness or stiffness you prefer.

McMaster Carr has a nice selection of it.
  13. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    There's something deeply ironic, in the OP's statement.
  14. southsounder

southsounder

This. Pulled open an recently acquired MIM P to replace the Quarterpounder with a Bart and found this exact setup, with small metal washers between the tubing and the pickup. Cleanest and most solid pickup install I've ever seen.

One word of warning though, I tried to duplicate this setup on some of my other basses and quickly found that there is actually only a narrow range of inner & outer diameter & wall thickness that will actually work.

Most of the commonly available stuff is too thin or has too large an inner diameter, which lets the tubing deform as you tighten the mounting screw. Ideally you want the greatest wall thickness you can find that still has an inner diameter of 1/8" (roughly the diameter of the average mounting screw).

I recently found some 5/16" OD x 1/8" ID x 3/32" wall that I think will work, but it took some searching to find it. I'll be trying it out this weekend and will report success/failure.

I'm hoping it works, because the next step up is 7/16" OD x 1/8" ID x 5/32" wall, and best I can find that version is only used for spear-fishing guns! :)
  15. Johnny F

Johnny F

If they fit, which they don't always, those conical springs Fender used to use to mount strat or tele pickups work great. The small end grips the screw, so it stays secure during mounting. They're available from various guitar parts sites.
  16. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Got it, and +1....
  17. Liam76

Liam76

I did two recent builds, and I prefer screw springs over the foam, but trying to compress the springs while lining up the screws, or the surgical tubes that came with my SD pickups... I'll probably use foam next time.
  18. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Disclosures:
    Fret Smithe, BGP
    One time I used Popsicle sticks. I just figured out how many I needed to stack to get the height I wanted, then glued them together with some TiteBond, then used a small drop of TiteBond to stick them inside the pickup cavity.

I call it the "poor man's direct mount pickup" method, aka "The Rainy Day Fun Time Activity Shelf solution to Pickup Height Adjustment (With Optional Googley Eyes)"
  19. megafiddle

megafiddle

If you eliminate the foam, make sure the pickups are somehow held in place inside
    the pickup cover. With at least some pickups, that was also one of the purposes
    of the foam.

Even if a spring or piece of tubing is of large enough diameter to extend under the end
    of the pickup itself, it could still leave the pickup loose inside the pickup cover.
  20. mflatau

mflatau

In the craft section of Wal-Mart they sell craft foam pads with adhesive backing. I think the sheets were like 1/16th of an inch thick. I cut these to shape and layered them to the desired height. Because they are sticky backed, the pads stay attached to the pickups. Worked perfectly on my Fender Jag bass.