1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Foam Your Way To "Standup".....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ZenG, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Sure this has been covered many times in threads....

but this is what I did to my Ibby SR500...and the sound is now very 'standupish'.

The foam I used is more of a rubber foam than the hard plastic foam.

Different thicknesses produced different results..

the thicker it was, the less sustain.

Found that by cutting it just slightly higher than strings I retained a little sustain but still got the stand-up sound....especially on the D and G strings.......

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      164.1 KB
      Views:
  2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

It looks like your standard polyurethane foam cushioning material. I'm a foam salesman!
  3. ZenG

ZenG

Yeah....it's quite a bit more "rubbery" than some of the foam I have.
  4. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Does it keep intonation and if so where can I get it?
  5. Timi

Timi

You usually have to adjust your intonation a bit.

Foam rubber used for window seals from a hardware shop works well, but it's worth experimenting with different materials to find a sound you like. Also try it over the strings (either taped down or under an ashtry cover if you use them).
  6. ZenG

ZenG

I didn't have to adjust anything.....

Just slid it in there and played.......

I imagine it can be found around fairly easily........

Furniture rebuild shops?

Thrift stores?

I haven't tried the stiffer plastic-type foam yet......maybe that works good as well.......
  7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I Wonder if someone somewhere with an equip piezo fretless bass ever tried to put a foam to get closer to upright bass ...

I don't know but it makes a lot more sense in my mind instead of a fretted bass with mag pickup
  8. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

I've done this and it works well. There's a price to pay, however, in the higher register. The foam REALLY cuts the notes short when you want them to sing out with sustain.

I really wish someone cleverer than me to design a device that would allow you to put the foam ON AND OFF the strings, with varying pressure. That would be cool, I think.:cool:
  9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The Fender Sean Hurley sig has one built in ^^^^
  10. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Rickenbacker bridges have this but the foam they use is too hard and screws up the intonation. Frustrating because I'd love to be able to take advantage of this feature.
  11. JBTucci

JBTucci Supporting Member

Some of the old Musicman Stingray's used to have the rubber mutes too.
  12. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I don't think it is a good setup to play past the 7th fret for sure. But it would be nice for some walking bass line or blues line.

I know EBMM used to have ajustable mute but I don't think you could ajust them in the heat of a song but I saw something that could be remove and put back on with a lever here.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Was it this?
    http://www.bassmute.com/
  14. Jaco D

Jaco D

Is that foam material safe on some of the common finishes used on basses? Some of the foam padding used in guitar stands have been known to react with some guitar finishes. Don't know which ones cause that (petroleum-based?) though.
  15. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Good question! PU foam WILL scratch a painted surface if pressure is applied. There are 2 Class A surface compatible foams, that I know of, that will not scratch the paint: Cross-Linked Polyethylene and Expanded Polyethylene.

Most American made foams will not react to the finish of a guitar under normal operating conditions, rubber based foams are a completely different animal and I know very little about them.
  16. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Thanks for this link. This looks like it's worth trying out!:hyper:
  17. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

I've wanted one of these for awhile. I've emailed them 3 times over the last year, most recently about 6 weeks ago. They are acquiring the parts to build new ones with as they're out of stock. By all means email them and let then know there's interest - maybe it'll help move things along a bit quicker!
  18. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

"We have trouble with our machinery, it will take (again) some extra time.
    Sorry for that and thanks for your bassy patience,

Bass regards from Edwin.

Edwin van Huik - Bass Connection"

This was from Jan. 30. His email address is bass@connectionbult.com
  19. GregT

GregT

I usually do it from the top with a piece of felt like Carol Kaye does it. It works pretty well too.
  20. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

With my 4003, I have found that if I lift the pad so it lightly touches the string it adds a sound that I hear when I play my fretless. Not sure the name, but it sounds like a light phase effect, I think it is when the string touches the neck on a fretless near where your finger is capping the string. I have adjusted the neck on the fly durring songs to get this effect. It is almost like a light harmonic.