Focus VS NEO

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372

Hey all,

I am going to be on the market for new 4x10's soon. I now have 2 Eden D410T's which are great sounding, but are freaking heavy and i really like how lightweight neo cabinets are. I already have a GK MB210 and MBE115 and those are great and easy to move around. I have also tried the GK NEO410 before as well. I liked the sound. I have been shopping around and came across the Genz Benz Focus 4x10, which is also neo and it apparently has a lower frequency response. specs say 42-18K Hz as to the GK NEO which specs read 45Hz to 19kHz. I have heard from one person that they really liked the Focus 15 cab's they have. I know Genz Benz is also supposed to be top notch. I think i have sort of narrowed it down to these two cabinets mainly because of the price range. I'd love to try out EBS or something but that is just too luxurious for me right now. I will be pushing the cabinets with an Eden WT-800, 4 ohms bridged at 1100 watts. So i just want to hear some opinions on what you all would choose if you were in my position.

thanks!
  2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Haven't played the GK cabs but I too have the Focus 15s and I really like them a lot. Actually, the Focus cabs are not Neo, but they are super light. The 15 weighs about 45 pounds. I can actually do a one hand carry with them for a short distance. I seem to recall the 410 weighing in at about 65 pounds I think as opposed to the 90 pounds for the Eden 410T.

The Focus 15s have a really nice tone all across the range. Nice lows, very warm mids, good highs. Ed Friedland did a nice review of the 410 so you could check that out. The Focus line gives you great bang for the buck IMO.

The Focus 410 probably doesn't have quite the mid push of the Eden 410 - that Eden 410 is a loud cab!

That being said, if you like the GK cabs that you have, I'd consider just using those.
    Hope that helps some.
  3. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat with my Eden 410XLT's. Someone told me to look into GK's 212 cabs, since I've recently fell in love with their MB series amps.
  4. johnpbass

johnpbass

The Eden 410XLT and 410T cabs sound awesome but they are heavy. I used to run 2 210XLTs and those weighed close to 70 pounds each!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod76

Wow really? I've managed my 98 lbs monsters for 12 years now. I love the way they sound with my GK MB200. It's the weight that sucks.
  7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Yep. Maybe the heaviest 210 ever!

So you've run 2 410XLTs with your GK MB200? That's awesome! I have the MB200 also - sounds great through my 2-15s!
  8. bassgod76

Oh no. I just run one cab with the amp. That little beast easily handles the load with lots of room to give. I was so impressed with its size, weigh, and sound, that I will most likely replace my Eden head with the MB800.
  9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Still awesome with 1 410XLT! Are your Edens 8 ohm or 4 ohm?
  10. bassgod76

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

So you could do a setup with an MB800 and 2 410XLTs! Killer!
  12. bassgod76

Um, yeah. The amp has two cab outputs.

GK hit a home run with those MB amps.
  13. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372

do you think the GK Neo's will have more midrange to them than the Focus? Which will remind me most of my Eden's?
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Agreed. Great amps.
    It would be interesting though to run your MB200 with the 2 410s and see how that sounds.
  15. bassgod76

You think the amp could handle that load?
    I know it would make it 4 ohm by daisy chaining the two 8 ohm cabs.
  16. johnpbass

johnpbass

That's a good question BassIsFun17. I can't speak to the GK cabs but IMO the Focus cabs have a very present and warm midrange. Less pronounced mids that the Edens certainly but still very nice mids.
  17. johnpbass

johnpbass

Yep. And those 410XLTs are super efficient cabs so that 200 watts would really project IMO!
    I recall some people running 810 cabs with the MB200.