1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24DSP?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingDavid, Feb 7, 2014.

1. KingDavid

KingDavid

I am confused with this component. What exactly is it: preamp, AD/DAC, what?? I read on the Focusrite website, things about it being a preamp, a compressor, an interface, ADC/DAC, and I only need a preamp for recording. I found this being a great component, but I need to know what I'm buying...

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Its an audio interface with two preamps, add'l effects - compression, EQ and reverb for tracking and the VRM feature which allows headphones to be used to simulate various studio monitors in different rooms.

And its expandable with say an OctoPre.

Its a very flexible unit and I'm very happy with mine, but I don't need the built in effects. The VRM feature is handy.

You can get the PRO 24 w/o the DSP. So no effects or VRM.

If you take a closer look at their website, it lays the specifics out in detail. If you take the time to read, it should all be pretty clear.

3. KingDavid

KingDavid

Ok, thank you. The website just didn't clarify that for me, not sure. Have you ever used an Octopre? How are those, for their price?

4. winston

winston

I have the PRO24 (no DSP). At the time I got it the DSP version was $150 more. If you mostly monitor through headphones the VRM could be useful but I already some plugins that do the same thing. The DSP's low-latency FX on the way in could be nice too, but I don't really miss them.

Don't get a FireWire interface if you're using Windows unless you have a TI (or possibly Via) chipset...it's almost guaranteed to be a headache, especially if it's a laptop. I've had good luck with FW on my MacBookPro.

I believe the OctoPre preamps are similar to the Saffire's...they're clean-sounding and low-noise--not much in the way of character.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kbone_ATL

Kbone_ATL

I highly recommend the 24 DSP!

I never use any of the built-in effects and haven't tested the VRM yet.

One thing I found yesterday was that if you are recording MIC and INST on the front combo at the same time, you have to set the channel to INST. This is stop the Phantom power from going on that channel.
    The site will give you the HCL for the FW adapters, I'm pretty sure I got a cheap TI chipset one and have not any issues FW issues.

7. KingDavid

KingDavid

I do monitor through headphones, almost 100% of the time. I will probably record through FireWire, but I'm doing all this on my desktop, and there's a FireWire port in the front, so it comes in handy (for once!) I already bought the 24DSP, and I should get it on Thursday. I hope it's as good as everyone says, I am on a very (800$) tight budget. I bought an A/DC, 2 mics, cables, audio card, and this. Hope it serves me well!

8. ddnidd1

You won't need an audio card and shouldn't need an add'l A/D converter.

9. KingDavid

KingDavid

I know, but I've heard that it is better to use your own ADC than a built in one, as the quality is better (I hope) with a true ADC... It's what I heard :/

As for audio cards, I also heard it's much better and the recordings come out clearer if using an audio card.

10. ddnidd1

I don't know where you're getting your information, but it doesn't apply in this instance.

If you're using the Pro 24 don't use a sound card or another A/D converter.

11. KingDavid

KingDavid

I realize that I do not need another one, I just thought that better AD, the conversion could be better. However, you are correct about the soundcard.

12. ddnidd1

Out of curiosity which external converter and which headphones will you be using.

13. KingDavid

KingDavid

I will be using an Apogee Rosetta UV22HR (don't know the exact model) and I will still buy better headphones, as I'm stuck with Sony MDR-XD200, I think.

14. KingDavid

KingDavid

Pictures, if you're wondering....

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392262299.113114.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392262377.670295.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392262435.019991.jpg

15. ddnidd1

For future information regarding all aspects of recording, check out the gearslutz.com forum.

Its a forum Dedicated to recording, in the same way TB is dedicated to bass.

Gearslutz has members ranging from the bedroom crowd to the top names in the recording business.

You'll get better recording advice at gearslutz and better bass advice at TB.

16. KingDavid

KingDavid

Yeah, I noticed that. I began using it quite a bit recently, I'll use it for recording/studio advice. Thanks anyways!