1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 to MarkbassLM2

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by brett25, Feb 14, 2013.

1. brett25

brett25

HI i have a quick question regarding how I should go out from my LM2 head into my scarlet 2i2. Should I go out from the balance DI line out (LM2) into the XLR line in (2i2)?, or line out to 1/4" input on the 2i2. I guess my question is if I go XLR to XLR, would I be using instrument level or line level at this point? A little confusing. I understand the scarlet automatically adjust the input if it detects XLR input? Thanks for any help

brett:bassist:

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Check the mark bass manual,
    Some amp DI outs are mic level, some are line level.

Pre amp level on the amp usually effects DI level output as well.

Try mic cable, if its to hot.
    Use XLR to TRS cable into combo jack and switch 212 to line level.

3. brett25

brett25

hey dude, thanks for your reply. Markbass manual says its a balanced line xlr, so im not sure if that mean line level, probably, why would it be mic level if its coming out of my amp head?

so im thinking XLR out to XLR in on the 2i2 is the way to go. The markbass has a separate volume control for the line out.

like you say, a second option is XLR to TRS, but would i choose instrument level for that connection? whats the advantage of TRS line level vs XLR line level?

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

It's in your manual:
    The front panel input sockets are Neutrik Combo®, which accept either an XLR male connector (you will probably have one on the end of your microphone cable) or a 1/4 (6.35 mm) jack plug. Note the Scarlett 2i2 has no Mic/lineswitch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug. Set the LINE/INST switch next to the socket to INST if you are connecting a musical instrument (a guitar in the example) via an ordinary 2-pole (TS) guitar jack, or to LINE if you are connecting a line level source such as the balanced output of a stage piano via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both TRS and TS types of jack plug.

Like I said if its line level XLR to TRS, switch it to line. TRS input on the interface cuts the level. XLR does not and will prob be too much signal for a mic input /pre amp. Your amp is already bringing your inst level up to line level so you don't need to preamp it again with the interface pre amp.

Most DI boxes take inst level high impedance and convert it to mic level low impedance. DI outputs on amps can be either line level or mic level depending on the amp.

Do some googling and look up:
    Mic level
    Line level
    Instr level

It will help you understand better when configuring equip to ensure gear is compatible with each other.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DirkP

DirkP

Since when? I have a LMII bought about 8 years ago and it doesn't have a separate volume control for the line out????

Dirk