1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Focusrite Scarlett 2.2 output through computer output options

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rcthorp, Dec 9, 2013.

1. rcthorp

rcthorp Supporting Member

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2.2 and am using Pod farm with it. My intent was to buy a rig that I could plug my bass/guitar into my computer and be able to play through my computers wireless headset. This is for times when I need to be quieter. I talked to a Sweetwater guy and this seemed like it would work. It inputs great but the sound output is the problem. It would seem that the Focusrite will only output through the 1/4 stereo headphones jack. Is there a way to either loop this feed back into my computer so that I can output to one of the computer's options or is their a different DAW that would accomplish what I am after? I've searched around and have been unsuccessful at finding similar topics.

Thanks!
  2. hazmatt

hazmatt

I use a focusrite scarlett on a windows machine. To route the output through another device for me involves going into the settings for the particular program I'm using. In reaper I hit ctrl + p to bring up preferences and while leaving the scarlett as my input, select another device (ie built in soundcard) for my output. Sometimes I'll set up to have reaper go in and out through the scarlett, and winamp to output through my computer speakers if I want a different reference to listen to a mix I'm working on.

hope this helps
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Is that the 2i2 ?
    On mine, in addition to the headphone output on front, there is a pair (R+L) 1/4" line-level jacks designed to drive powered monitors.

For about $3 you can get an adapter Y-cable that is male 1/4" mono plugs on one end for the 2i2's monitor jacks and a 1/8" stereo TRS jack - like the kind you probably have for the computer sound already. I can get you the part number if you like.
  4. rcthorp

Yes it is the 2i2. I need to go from 1/4 to USB as that is how the speakers I want to use are powered/handled.
  5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

OK - I probably can't help then...

Other than - I am guessing that the speakers are actually acting as a sound card (as the 2i2 does). In which case it should be possible in your app to select that device for your output while retaining the 2i2 as your input. I know nothing about Pod Farm...

I've input and output with Audacity (free...) and just kept the 2i2 as the Windows sound card.

I'm using FL Studio as a DAW and it too had selection options for various USB inputs and outputs.

This exhausts my knowledge on the subject, I'm afraid...
  6. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

This is due to your software, not the Scarlett. You need to tell, in prefs, your software where you want the audio output sent.
    Mike
  7. rcthorp

I would agree. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find where Pod Farm allows you to change the output. The guts seem to be really lacking in pod farm in changing those types of settings unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I'll look a little harder. There is some driver software I installed with the Focusrite that I thought I didn't need since I was using pod farm, I'll investigate that a little further before I start asking questions. Maybe I need to use both.
  8. hazmatt

hazmatt

9. rcthorp

Windows machine. I've messed with ASIO4ALL with Pod Farm and Audacity to no avail so far. No biggie. I'll keep thinking on it and just use to 1/4 output with my crappy headphones.....Oh first world problems, thou art a heartless colorful name for a female dog.