Focusrite Scarlett 6I6?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Apr 1, 2014.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat. Supporting Member

I just ordered one of these. And on top of that, I got the free program that comes with it, which is said to be a $599.99 value! But I digress. Do any of you guys know about this interface? I haven't been able to find many reviews. Does it work like the other Scarlett models? And what's so special about Scarlett?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. INTP

INTP

You got a good deal. I'm happy with my Scarlett 18i8. It's a fine USB interface.

I particularly like the MixControl, because you can create your own submixes for different outputs (e.g. two different headphone mixes and one for monitors). It is controlled in the software, but it happens in the interface for zero latency monitoring during tracking.

I use Reaper so I did not install Ableton Live Lite. The effects plugins (VSTs) are ok, and if you find a sound you like, the BassStation VSTi is fine. I don't use the Loopmaster stuff.

I use it in two different "modes". For one, it is my practice rig, basically a mixer for my instrument, with whatever other inputs I might want to play with. This could be a DVD, CD, drum machine, or a track that I created in Reaper using VSTI's. The other mode is for recording tracks to the DAW. It performs very well in each of these modes.

FWIW, the number of inputs I have is overkill, but since I use it as a mixer, it does save me from having to swap cables as often. If I could have gotten the deal you got on the 6i6, that's a better value for most people.

3. newyorkiddo

Thank you! I'm actually quite excited to test it out and fiddle with it. I probably won't end up using it much, but with the small amount of knowledge on Adobe Audition I have, I'm sure I could record a couple of demos for local bands. I'm not going to lie though, the thing that got me to buy it was the cool color. Haha.

4. rob2966

rob2966

Just ordered an 18i8 myself (to replace my Mbox2). Looking forward to it, from what I have read it interfaces with PT10 just fine, hopefully that is the case.

Later
    Rob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

The guitarist in one of my projects has been using a Scarlett and speaks very highly of it. He's got good ears, so I trust his judgement.

7. newyorkiddo

Yes, a lot of my friends wanted to get a Scarlett themselves, so hopefully it'll be great!

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

I have had a 2i4 for about 9 months, and love it. The input pads come in very handy.

9. Bassfiction

Bassfiction Chiseled God Supporting Member

We use a 18i8 and it is amazing. No complaints about anything!

10. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i got the 18i20 a couple weeks ago. i ran into a few problems at first but then i contacted focusrite and they were great about helping me out. i had to reset a few things on my computer and it's been fine ever since. and it sounds great too! a lot better than the Presonus Firestudio i was using, that thing was nothing but trouble.

11. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

The Scarlett interfaces are great. No issues - They just work!

12. Tagruvto

Tagruvto

I have the 18i20 and really like it. It took me a while to learn Mix Control - but now I find it to be very useful too.

I wish the mic pre's had a little more gain - My ribbon mic requires it. But, this is not a show stopper. I will likely buy a Cloudlifter or Fethead soon to boost the ribbon mic signal.